What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What happens next?

My sundew caught two little fruit flies. One of the leaves moved it to the center and pressed it to the center, but did not wrap itself around it. Is this because it is small? And is it digesting it? The other leaf moved it to the center, but the fly doesn't look like it's pressed against the digestive part of the plant. I didn't know if I should take the fly off of their......or if it will drop it if it doesn't want to eat it. If id does eat it, does it drop it off of their, or does it stay stuck in the "dew"? Thanks.

The plant will digest what it wants (and can reach). The corpse of the prey will remain stuck to the trap until rains wash it off (in habitat). In terrarium culture prey corpses can mold causing some problems. If you notice the area getting furry, a dab of alcohol will fix this and remove any danger.

Can you pull the corpse off with a tweezers before it starts to rot? If so, how do you know when?

Unless it large bug such as a dragonfly or large blowfly you should not have any problems.The best way to avoid any fungal problem is make sure there is some air movement around the plants.

Back