What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sundew feeding?

elgecko

I've got a magic window!
Just curious if anyone feeds there sundews that grow in a terrarium or an area which they are not able to catch any food. If so, what?

well being that fungus gnats in one concentration or another are almost always present in terrariums so i think they will still get food. i have rotundifolia and a few pygmys that seem to like being in with my neps and i see lil gnats in the traps all the time. and its as enclosed as a CP terrarium should be. they need air cirrculation so i dont totally close up the top. flies and such sometimes make their way into it. the 75 gal tank is kept with a 2 inch by 14 inch opening in the center at the top and the interior still stays at about 85 percent humidity as long as i water every 7 to 10 days.

Rattler

Yes, there are probably plenty of gnats. I also catch in a jar these little spiders that crawl around near my baseboards, and turn the jar upside down and let them lower themselves by a thread onto the plant, and later the leaves have folded over them.

i feed mine fishflakes. only the kind for carnivorous fish, though

how do you get fungus gnats? i dont have any and i want some.

I use dried blood worm meal during the months when the plants are inside. Once outside no feeding is needed, they do that very well without any help needed.

Be glad you don't have fungus gnats which are a good indication that all is not okey dokey with the mix.

well i mean, i see one every once-in-a-while, but i thought they were good fodder for pings, drosera, utrics, genlisea, etc.

I feed all of my larger sundew hikari betta pellets. I thought, insectivorous fish, insectivorous plant, whats the difference. They seem to love it, the curl around it quite quickly and the pellets are completely disolved by the plants. No worry of fungus.

Ktulu, I had thought of doing that. I noticed how tiny those pellets are and would be great for lots of small plants.
I avoid fungus gnats by nuking my peat. If you want some, just use peat moss straight out of the bag.

Joe

really griffin? so fungus gnat eggs lay dormant in peat?

could i get some rotting mulch from the compost pile, put it in a container then put the container in my terr, then would fungus gnats establish themselves in my terr?

you can feed drosera fish pelets?!! i didnt kno , oh man i gota try it, sugest any brand of pelets? i jus got a nepenthes today!

Ya'll mind telling me what fungus gnats look like. Been wanting to ask this a long time now. Are those the tiny brown things...uhm...and can they fly? No huh...

I feed mine whatever I come across or whatever comes across my D.s. They usually catch flying ants or flies which are attracted by my terrarium lights.

Thanks for the ideas.
I'm trying an experiment on an extra capensis with Hikari Betta Bio-Gold pellets. Seems all is going well. It has wrapped it's leaf around the pellet.

elgecko, those are what i have been feeding my D.capensis and my D.scorpiodes for months, and they love them, they are growing like crazy, i think they grow faster with the Hikari bio betta gold than they did when i would feed them bugs. Just watch that D.capensis is going to take off soon. I can't get my D.capensis bush to stop flowering since i started feeding it the pellets.

Back