What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Long fibered sphagnum

I read that D. rotundifolia do well in long-fibered sphagnum. Does that mean it should be pure LFS? It just seemed to me that by itself wouldn't be enough for a plant to grow in. Seems like it should need some sort of dirt. But I'm fairly new to the many different mediums that these plants like.

I have one D. rotundifolia growing in a 50/50 peat/perlite mix now. I have another plant on the way, and after reading this, I was wondering if I should plant this new one in a 50/50 peat/sand mix, or with some LFS mixed in with that, or if pure LFS worked as a growing medium.

Thanks!

- Joel

i dont think it will care. peat is just decomposed spag.

you could try one plant in 50/50 peat/sand and another is pure spag, and see which one grows better.

I grow all my D. rotundifolia in pure milled live sphagnum.  D. rotundifolia is a bog plant, and this is it's natural medium.  I run the moss through a food processor  blender thing and it keeps the moss from heading for almost the entire season.

Actually, I have yet to find a CP that does not appreciate sphagnum as an additive to the mix.

I use milled LFS(I don't have enough live to do what Tamlin does), but seedlings especially seem to enjoy it more than peaty mixes. I have a small food processor, but I am trying to fine the food processor blender thing that Tamlin mentioned.

smile_n_32.gif

Joe

mine is growing and flowering in a mix of peat perlite and some LFS. its doing fine as far as i can tell although for being a temperate species it seems to really like my lowland Nep tank. it and some pygmys that Tamlin sent are the only Drosera that i have so far that seem to like it. ive long since moved the rest of them out of there.

Rattler

On a side note..... I have several pots of D. adelae and I've noticed that the ones I have growin in 8hr direct sun are doing much better than the ones growing in bright shade, which, from my understanding, is contradictory growing traits. I believe the difference is the LFS. The poor soul I have in bright shade is in a half and half mix of peat and sand. Looks like I'll be repotting today after work
confused.gif

Hey Zak. Is it live sphagnum? I get kind of confused between the different types. I bought a brick of compressed long fibered sphagnum, and I broke off a piece and put it in water. It expands to a huge piece of it...pretty cool actually. Then there is live sphagnum......which I kind of thought this was too. It is turning green, so I thought that it just needed some water and sun to "be alive" again. Then there is milled sphagnum.

Tamiln, you mentioned putting it in a food processor before planting. Is that the best way to use long fibered sphagnum for a medium? I tried cutting it into smaller pieces with a scissors, but I'm not sure if they are small enought yet. Thanks guys.

Unless milled fine the live moss will quickly regenerate. This is ok for larger growing genera , but most sundews will be buried quickly, which is why I mill my moss.

Mine is "dead" LFS, the stuff they sell for orchids at Lowes. I have a 12" pot that is about 18" deep. On the very bottom is pine straw. then the rest is filled with the LFS. I have four VFT's a S. purpurea, and two adelae, and everything is going nuts in the stuff

Hmm......I would assume my is "dead" too......since it's in a compressed block. But it has turned green and seems to regenerate. It's not a very fine medium....there are long strands of it. ZAK, does yours look ground up, or are they longer strands too? Maybe I can find a picture of it to post.

Hello, i have 2 questions some of you may be able to answer.

1: Is NewZealand Sphagnum Moss good for growing VFT?

2: how is NewZealand Sphagnum Moss dif from Canadian Sphagnum moss.

-steve

[b said:
Quote[/b] (firewired @ July 12 2004,1:48)]ZAK, does yours look ground up, or are they longer strands too?  Maybe I can find a picture of it to post.
The kind I use is the compressed block of long strands. Sounds like what you're using. The only place I buy my Live LFS is from Jeff Dallas at www.cobraplant.com a gallon is pretty cheap, and I always get sundews popping up in the stuff.

Steve,

I am sure Dionaea would grow fine in New Zealand LFS. The difference is(from my experience) that, besides being a different species of sphagnum, the NZ stuff is much cleaner than Canadian or Wisconsin. Less sticks, twigs, ect to pick out. It seems thikcer and more lush too. It is much more expensive, too, and I use it only for my Neps and such. I think canadian would be fine for your VFTs and Sarracenia, if you are not going to use peaty soils.

Cheers,

Joe

Back