What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dewy pine germinated

elgecko

I've got a magic window!
g

(that's the g that did not make it in the topic desciption heading)

I hope all goes well with my Dewy Pine. I took a good look at it today and noticed that it is starting to sprout.
I originally placed 2 seeds in an 8" pot hoping one would germinate. Nothing happened for over 2 months, so I got another one of my seeds and placed it in the pot. That was about 2 weeks ago and like I said it's sprouting.
I've read they can be very touchy when starting to germinate, so any help welcome. Plus when do you start to back off on the watering? How much do you usually give it? Etc, Etc....
Thanks

Kay, when one of them gets two leaves, carefully use a spoon and transfer it out of the pot. From what I've seen in my limited growing, they really do seem to release some kind of chemical into the soil that will kill off other drosophyllum. I found this out the hard way when I tried to re-use a pot and soil. Coincidence? I don't think you want to risk it.

For me, I grew it like drosera until it was much larger (8 leaves, or a few months old). Keep it damp, not sopping wet nor too dry. I put just enough water in it for the tray to get a bit wet. When it's larger you can just sort of tell that it's ready for less water. My area can be a bit windy so right now I have my plant's stem placed inbetween 4 small rocks. Every week or so, I "water the rocks" until they're wet. About a quarter cup of water.

Honestly, I only have one plant that has survived out of maybe 10 that I planted (8 germinated). If seed doesn't sprout after a really long time - 6 months or more, you can try drying it out and germinating again. That's what I'm currently waiting for. I hope it works for my other seed.

Well, I only know of two other drosophyllum growers, but they're both in California. In my case, my backyard has EXACTLY the conditions for the plant - including the rocky soil. So it's not really fair.
laugh.gif
I'll have to defer to any growers closer to you or one with more experience. Good luck with the seedling. They really are tough, and sometimes they seem to die with little reason. Keep us updated!

Here's my experience with these plants:
Last year during the summer, I sowed about 20 or 30 seeds of Drosophyllum outdoors in pots kept damp. The seeds were scarified, but only one germinated and it quickly died.
During winter/spring, I tried again with a different batch of seeds, but this time I cut off part of the seed coat near the tip to reveal the white endosperm and soaked the seeds in distilled water. I changed the water every couple days, until the white tip started to elongate at which point, I removed the seeds and planted them in peat pots filled with sand:perlite, pure sand, peat:perlite:sand etc. The seedlings sat in water in a tray as the peat pots would dry out quickly in the sun.
Once the seedlings grew their second set of leaves, I transplanted them to larger clay or plastic pots(7-10in). One of the large clay pots sat in around 4-5in of water in a plastic box the entire winter and part of spring. There were three plants in that pot, but one died within a couple weeks of transplanting. The other two are still alive and well.
The other pots were placed on a porch with stong sunlight. I believe that multiple plants can be grown together as I have two pots with two plants and one pot with three plants. My favorite soil for Drosophyllum is pure silica sand. I have other plants in sand:perlite and sand:perlite:peat, but it is annoying when I water from the top as the perlite floats to the surface.
BTW: I also live in CA and the weather is well suited to these plants...What works here may not work well in other places.

Jan and Kamil from BestCP posted a travellog from their trip. About the best information I have seen on the topic! Excellent pics and insight into the natural habitat and a lengthy section on cultivation.

BestCP Drosophyllum
Tony

Thanks for the information all. Maybe someday I will try it again. I am ashamed to say that despite GA3, fresh seed, sun ripened seed, nicking, scraping and sanding the seed, soaking the seed, pouring boiling water on the seed, using umpteen million substrate and moisture combo's that I have NEVER germinated a single flipping seed, and this is one on of my most wanted plants: number 55 on a list of about a thousand, lol.

dont they do GREAT in places like san fransisco and san diego?

also i heard cutting off or nicking a piece of the outer coating of the seed helps.

Well, I'm in Los Angeles, and a particularly deserty part. It does awesome outside. But it's tough to germinate and get past the small stage despite that. Mine took MONTHS to germinate. The ones I have drying again right now are almost a year old now. I think I'm going to use CP2K's advice and take off the tip. I already scarify all of them but I guess that's not enough.

Hey everyone,

I hope someone sees this and can answer my questions.
smile.gif

I received 5 drosophyllum seeds from D. Muscipula a few weeks ago, I lost 3 and 2 germinated. I have recently transplanted the oldest seedling to its permanent pot. While I was taking the seedling out of its container I noticed that the bottom was black, well there is this black stringy thing that connects the actual seedling to the seed. I would like to know if that black stringy thing is roots or is my seedling dying? The seedling's two oldest leaves are drying out too, but I think there are new ones coming up. Should I give up on this seedling?

Also when exactly should I transplant seedlings to a bigger pot and how much water should I give a seedling once it is in its permanent pot? Thanx a lot for the info, Sincerely, LA Traphole

I can not really help you out myself.
I planted my seed into the container that it's going to spend the rest of it's hopefully long life in. I black string that you describe sounds like it might be a root.
I would not give up on the plant if it looks like new leaves are forming.
As for watering I do not give mine much water at all. I give it small amounts twice a week and it's doing great.

Wow...awsome Drosophyllum site Tony. Thanks!

WOW
This plant grows fast. The picture on the left was taken 7/5. The picture on the right was taken 7/28. It has been 23 days between pictures.

133dewy-pine.jpg

Wow, the pic on the left makes it look like it's growing next to snowy boulders and ice chunks, lol. Looks like it's growing great. Keep doing whatever it is you're doing.
laugh.gif

Here is a plant that is around 7-8 months old from seeds. It is growing in full sun from morning till afternoon. This keeps the plant from getting spindly. The soil is sand:perlite topped with a couple inches of sand. The perlite still manages to get to the top though...maybe pure silica or course sand would be better.
BTW, the ruler is a little over 12in long.
Drosophyllum-Ubrique, Andalousia, Spain:
Drosophyllum-Ubrique,%20Andalousia,%20Spain-7-8months%20from%20seed.jpg

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ July 01 2004,3:52)]dont they do GREAT in places like san fransisco and san diego?

also i heard cutting off or nicking a piece of the outer coating of the seed helps.
how the heck is anyone supposed to see what they're cutting?
smile_m_32.gif
Yes it does help cutting off a piece of the seed leaves, but you would cut off the baby plant whilst doing so.

Hmmm, yes I have heard that they release a chemical which inhibits the growth of other cps nearby, due to their water deprived nature. Does anyone know if this chemical prevents the growth of drosophyllum only or other cps as well. Anyhow it should be better to keep them as loners away from other cps huh...

Jason

that baby looks like it's really growing fast! whnever your plant has flowers, remember me and i can trade you almost anything i have or $$

Me too. Wouldn't mind sending $ overseas.
smile_m_32.gif
Can't wait for it to flower...
biggrin.gif

Must be an annual to be growing that fast.

nah, they aren't annuals. they can be grown as biannuals though.

i've seen plants the size of a bush! it's really cool.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]they aren't annuals. they can be grown as biannuals though.
They can also be grown as perennials. My Drosophyllum plants are now 3.5 years old.

Back