What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The sacrifice

Last nyte i saw a fly on its way to die, the tired type that struggles to fly, i picked him on his wings and put him on my sundew ...
Fly%20on%20sundew.jpg

The next morning that SOB  
mad.gif
got away and i couldnt find the evidence of his body... the sundew curled but nothing was in it.

10min later i hear a buzz, and looked str8 to my plants and look wat i see..
Fly%20on%20vft.jpg

fly%20on%20vft%2002.jpg

fly%20on%20vft%20laying%20eggs.jpg

SOB was laying eggs on my trap if u can his butt and maggots coming out,  
smile_t_32.gif
i was so pissed, cuz ive had maggots come out wen the fly is dead in the trap.

Anyways i tried to capture it with my tweezers but it had regain its strength and flew out side my room and on the sliding door and i swapped it with a newpaper.

Retreived the body to my sundew and put it where its suspose to b.
Now its dead laying here.
flies%20destiny.jpg

His flesh all over the place and waiting 4 the sundew to consume it!  
smile_n_32.gif

hehehehe, that will teach him!

do any of you have bursts of sweet sadistic feelings while reading this? J/K
smile_n_32.gif

biggrin.gif

Mwhahahahaha...hah...ha...

heres more sacrifises!
This fly was dead to begin with so, im not evil
smile.gif

Curled%20sundew01.jpg

it curled like this in like 2days

Zoom out..
Curled%20sundew02.jpg

As u can see the other sundew is still digesting the first fly i post up a week or so ago

MY windowsill is a bug's destiny
smile_n_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif

One can understand why some companies call D. capensis, "Octopus Plants".

Cheers,

Joe

'The only good bug is a digested bug', a wise man once said.
biggrin.gif

<span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>To be continued...
again and again and again
</span>

i fed a small fly to my small vft and it reopened twice, wtf/? can any1 tell me y? (i took the fly out and fed it to my sarrs)

Too small maybe? Or maybe the fly was clever and understood the complex techniques of the venusian plant to open again when the trigger hairs aren't stimulated.

I highly doubt it though.
smile.gif

Probably cuz the fly has to keep moving around to further stimulate the trigger hairs. And when its dead, it cant do that.

yea i was thinking that, i tried to flick the trap to shake the carcass around :p

[b said:
Quote[/b] (AzNsUShi41 @ July 26 2004,1:23)]the fly was dead
That explains it then. The trigger hairs weren't stimulated often enough so the VFT opened again. Its a natural adaptation, as the VFT doesn't want to spend time and energy digesting, say a fallen raindrop whcih has stimulated it...but then on the down side it doesn't know when its being fed dead but nutritious prey.
smile.gif

I think you would have to poke the trigger hairs continuously for a few mins b4 you can expect the trap to think its caught live prey. Captured prey usually move round a lot. Plus maybe its because the movements got to come from the inside to duplicate prey movement, don't know whether flicking the trap would work or not.

Back