What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scorched

i was giving my d.alicea some light today from a 60 watt lanp i have done this many times but the last time i did it i found it to be scorched i left it for a day to see if some leefs would recover but they havent should i cht them off and wait for new growth or will it be ok

it could come back from the old stem or the roots depends how badly it was scorched.

Hey TT,
How close did you get the plants to the lamp? Also, what kind of 60w bulb is it? If it's an incandescent, it won't do the plant any good.

My alicaea got scortched by the sun, but they recovered. It took a while, though, so you'll have to be patient.

it only scorched about 12 leaves theres new growth so its still ok i cut the scorched leaves off cause they were getting worst anyway its already grown 3 leaves to replace the so hopfully it will be a quick recovery

the lamp was 10 inches away from the plant but i dont no what type of bulb it was

its still flowering and the flower has been open for 2 days then it shut
hmmm should i test it again to see if thats the way to keep the flowers open
smile_k_ani_32.gif

ive got some seeds from it know so if it dies ill start again but it should be healthy

I have yet to meet a SOuth Afrincan Drosera species that would not come back from the roots if given time to do so.

I suggest you ditch that incandescent bulb. As has been stated, they don't have the right spectrum amd obviously can do more harm than good. Go flourescent!

Huh?
confused.gif
How can D.alicea seeds be ready that quick???
Tree terror, your D. alicea only flowered 1 week ago, it takes a few weeks for the seeds to mature.

Why did you put it under the lamp??

i thought it was ready when i posted the reply starman but i found out it wasnt so i didnt cut it off
i put it under a lamp because theres no sunshine here at all and it was doing realy well untill it got scorched it is fine though now and the leaf i left on it is really red and producing dew and when i say red the whole leaf is red.
its a shame i cut off the other leafs also something else really wiered is its catching more flys even though its in the same room i noticed it caught 4 flies before the scorching and now theres 15 on the leaves right know

Only special lamps can be used instead of sunlight,
so your desklamp will NOT work. Your plants will still get sun on
a cloudy day, if there was no sun on a cloudy day, it would be completely
dark.

Back