What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Questions.....

I have a couple of D. rotundifolia leaf cuttings that have been sitting for about 3 weeks now, I put them in June 27. I think there might be a little bit of mold growing in there but it's hard to tell for sure. They are in a little ziplock hard plastic container with plastic wrap over the top. I cut a few slits in the plastic wrap near the edges to let some air flow through there.

The could be mold looks kind of like little yellow dots. Can I spray some fungicide on this or do something else for it? Also I was wondering if I could check to see if there are some roots growing or if this would harm the leaf cutting and it's roots if it had some.

I have two leaf cuttings, one in pure LFS and one in a 50/50 peat/sand mix. The one in the peat/sand mix is still green which I would think would be a good sign. But the one in LFS is brown. And both look to have some mold starting to grow.

Any help would sure be appreciated! Thanks alot.
smile.gif

- Joel

The dots you report may be calluses forming on the leaves, which indicate success. It's hard to tell from your description.

To rectify mold problems, decrease humidity, increase air circulation or light, or start your cuttings in water.

Moving your cuttings around shouldn't do any harm, but probably won't help either. Foliar growth usually begins long before roots are formed on leaf cuttings.

does putting the cuttings in water have the same bud growth rate as placing them on substrate?

Hey Just

Why don't you do an experiment to find out? Try one cutting in water and one on substrate or even different substrates and see which one strikes first.
smile.gif

well, i DID, but the D. adelae leaf in water just grew white roots, no buds.

whats up with that? the other leafs , around 2 dozen, are on substrate and are making alot of buds. a couple leaves have atleast 10-15 buds.

also, ime, the younger leaves that are less curved produce more buds. this is contrary to what i predicted, that the older leaves would produce more because they had more stored food.

go figure?

ps, call me clint :- )

Back