What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chemical composition of dew

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
When sundews occasionally get submerged, do they necessarily lose their dew? What is the chemical composition of the dew? Is the dew water soluble or insoluble?

Most mucilages in nature are composed of glyco-proteins (complex molecules, put simply; part sugar-part protein), sundew dew, slugs and your nose all contain glyco-protein mucilages!

In plants the most abundant and common group and the one responsible for the sticky mucilage in sundews, are the arabinogalactan-proteins. their properties include an inherent stickiness and a high-water holding capacity. In Drosera the mucilage is produced by sub-cellular organelles, called Golgi Bodies, located in the cells at the tip of the tentacles.

I don't think the mucilage is particularly water soluble, it certainly doesn't wash of too easily in heavy rains, but don't know of any studies on it's solubility either.

Vic

Composition? I would say everything sticky; glue, saliva, snot...well that is mucilage isn't it?
smile_m_32.gif
I thought if you wanted to find out its solubility it was obivious what you had to do...experiment time!
cool.gif

Wow, Vic really knows his dews eh...

'Wow, Vic really knows his dews eh...'

No Vic has worked with analysing slug mucilage before and paid attention at some of the more technical talks at the recent ICPS Congress in Lyon. Add a bit of Google to check a few names etc, and there you have it. I enjoyed learning a bit more about CPs researching the answer too!

Vic

I have grown Drosera Aliciae, binata, burmanii, coccicaulis, capensis, dielsiana, nidiformis, and spatulata underwater for a week at a time after rains filled the bin they were in. Upon draining the bin, dew returned to all these plants within hours. Strong and naturally growing plants recover their dew with no worries.

Thank you Vic & Tamlin! No need to post this one across the pond.

Back