What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. aff. paradoxa flower

Here's a pic I took earlier this month of my paradoxa in bloom.  It opened its first flower on 6/24/04, and is still going strong.  Yesterday the 23rd flower opened and closed, but not before I hand pollinated it.  I'm keeping a record of which flowers I hand pollinate, and which ones I do not.  This way, I hope to determine if this species self pollinates and/or is able to produce seed without help from another clone.  From a recent search, I found that this might be possible with the paradoxa... alone amongst the Petiolaris Complex.  

Two other flower stalks started to grow, but I snipped them off... in order to prevent the plant from exhausting itself.

After I hand pollinate the flower, it closes within a minute thereabouts.  I wasn't aware that it would do so that quickly.  

paradoxaflower.jpg

-Homer

what conditions do you grow your paradoxa in?

i'd be interested in seeds
biggrin.gif
(way off topic) but worth a shot

Equal parts peat, perlite, and silica sand. I use the tray method. The paradoxa is kept just a few inches below the fluorescent bulbs, most of the time, in my terrarium.

-Homer

might i ask what the temps and humidity are?

Temps range from mid 80's during the day to 70 F at night.  Humidity 40-50%.  Keep in mind the hygrometer is in the front of the terrarium, while the plant is in the back; therefore, the RH near the plant is anyone's guess.

-Homer

Back