What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wild sundews vs rain?

One great thing about my job is I travel through lots of areas that have many bogs/fenns. Whenever I have time I take my "breaks" by sloshing around some wetland looking for signs of our local CPs. Today was a milestone for sure. I was dressed in my business attire..wingtip shoes and all when I spotted an old bog I hadn't visited in several years. The owner passed away and the property had been in dispute. I couldn't resist a peak so I trekked out of my car through the shrubs, deer flies, mosquitos and bucket loads of sphagnum moss. It started to rain too. I was delighted to discover the drosera population had exploded. Dozens of bright red clusters of D.intermedia and D.routndifolia dotted the landscape. I was amazed at how well they hold up under the onslaught of rain. In fact, they seem to swell up and look nicer during the storm. I grow several pots of both species on my porch that look OK....but they don't hold a candle to these wild ones. Could it be the direct contact by rain that increases their vigor?  I use to think sundews in collection were the best looking. Not so anymore.

My 'dews that are outside are currently experiencing copious amounts of rain (we've had at least 4" in the last 48 hours), and they seem to be holding up just fine. I think they look good outside because sun is superior to lighting, no matter how good a set up you get.

Lucky you for being able to see such sights! I'm glad to hear of any wild population thriving.
smile.gif

Back