What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera interloper

Hey, this guy just appeared in my D. slackii months after I got it. It's not something I have ever owned, so it must have been seed sitting in there all this time. Anyway, I think it's D. intermedia, what do you think? I got it from CC, who also offers a D. intermedia "cuba form", so that's what I'm thinking it is.

Drosera_unknown.sized.jpg

Capslock

Intermedia 'cuba' has leaves that are more round-oval, and your are more elongated ovals (what do you call the part of the leaf that holds the tentacles, anyway?)

I think it's D. anglica.

auctually, i take it back since the leaf in the center looks different from the other leaves below it. lol, sorry for wasting time. my intermiad "cuba" didn't look like that, though.

Don't know, but it looks nice! Always a nice surprise.
biggrin.gif

I am thinking nidiformis also. This plant is as weedly as my capensis and dielsiana...

Yeah, upon further review, I'm going with D. nidiformis until proven otherwise. Thanks!

Capslock

Definately the Nidi, and from the size of it you should be expecting a flower scape soon. I started growing my Nidi's from seed a few months ago and already have a flower scape.

I was given a D. anglica from a friend, which is the plant to the right of the intermedia. So my first thought was to say that the plant in question is an anglica, because it resembles the paddle shaped leaves of mine. Since I do not have a nidiformis to compare it to and don't have a keen eye for all the detailed differences, I don't know which is which. what IS the difference between anglica and nidiformis?

138.jpg

see, yours has longer "paddles" than intermedia, and shorter "paddles" than anglica. maybe its a hybrid.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Aug. 02 2004,8:47)]what do you call the part of the leaf that holds the tentacles, anyway?
Its known as the lamina jlap.

If you look closely at the petioles of D. nidiformis, you will note the small hairs present there. These are absent in D. anglica.

then i guess it's not anglica! thanks tamlin!

and thank you pondboy, lamina, lamina, lamina. i've gotta remember that.

Man, I would never have noticed that! Hey, at least I didn't say it looked like a spatulata. I'm making progress!

Me either, Jim! Now that Tamlin mentions it, I can see that it is indeed D. nidiformis. It's fun to get new plants who are stowaways in other plants. Tamlin gave me some U. paulinae recently, and it also has a drosera interloper in it. I think it's D. rotundifolia, but it's really small still. I'll get a pic up when it's bigger. Any ideas, Tamlin? What lived next to your U. paulinae?
laugh.gif

Capslock

Back