What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non producing d. capensis?

It is there a D. Capensis that does not produces seeds from its flowers? I believe I may have one...The Capensis is flowering again but the first flowering produced no seeds.
confused.gif

Thanks,
Travis

Did you let the flowers bud on the stem for several weeks before collecting the seed?
If you pull the flower bud off to soon the seeds have not ripened yet.

The stem was dieing so I figured it was long enough. I also let the flower die before touching it. Then after the flower died I taped on the flower lightly and just a few died flakes came off. They did not look like D. Capensis seeds as I have seen them before.

Travis, I've had this happen with some of my capensis...such as the "wide leaf"...huge flower stem but no seed. Yet other capensis (grown in the same location and conditions) make lots of seed.
confused.gif
Its very disappointing to get nada after watching those fat flower buds develop.

I recently posted a note about my wide-leafed capensis that has very large flowers and a fully developed scape that produced no seed. see
http://www.petflytrap.com/cgi-bin....t=12106
All of my other capensis produce thousands of seeds without any participation by me, but this particular plant appears to be self-sterile.

I am pretty sure it is a wide leaf capensis...Out of all the capensis how did I get stuck with the non producing seed kind.
smile_h_32.gif

D. capensis is considered a weed in most collections, maybe having a sterile capensis isn't that bad :p

Now there's an idea for irresponsible CP owners: neutered cape sundews. Works for cats n' dogs.
smile_t_32.gif

Back