What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hey I have some Byblis Liniflora seeds on their way to me right now and I've heard that they are a little "tricky" to germinate and grow. So far I'm using a big pot because they can't be repotted and it says in "Savage Garden" that deep pots will help them live longer. It also says that they like 2 parts sand and 1 part sphagnum peat moss. But, I want to be extra sure about what I am using to germinate these seeds. I'm somewhat of a newB and this is my first time with any Byblis plants. Can someone please give me a small guide to get them through germination. I need to know the best way to do it and the best medium to use.

I would also like to know if fungicide is NEEDED to germinate them. In "Savage Garden" it says that damping off mold can be a problem and I do not have fungicide at the moment. If I need some fungicide I need to know of a type that is safe for CPs and can be found at a shop of some sort because it would take too long to order.

I will attempt to germinate these seeds outside under the Pennsylvania sun where it usually doesn't go over 85 degrees during the day and it stays around 70 at nights with really good humidity at all times. Please tell me everything you know! Thanks in advance for all the feedback.

--Kyle--

my seeds havn't germinated yet, but it is possible to ship live plants. about a month ago i was shippd 7 small plants, 4 are still alive and producing flower buds. i grow my plants in mid 80's day temps, low 70's night temps. i grow them in 2/1 peat sand. there is superb air circulation and lots of humidity. they are dripping with dew.

Really nice, I'm looking forward to getting them. So does it need 2 parts sand? Can it grow in anything else? At the moment I do not have any silica sand. At least I don't think I do. Thanks for the feedback.

If you have the right kind of sand , 2:1 is a good mix. I think I used pure milled sphagnum when I had them. I would alwyas mist with a fungicide with any seed, as you never know what could spring up.
BTW, nothing tricky about these.

Cheers,

Joe

i guess you could grow them in alot of stuff, but i use 2/1 sand/peat because A: it was reccomended to me, and B: that's what i grow almost everything in.

i use fungicide when i take cuttings, sow seeds, ship plants, and transplant plants.

Honestly, byblis liniflora is one of the EASIEST plants to germinate that I've grown. I've grown them in peat, peat/sand, and live spagnum. It doesn't matter, as long as you give them good light and keep medium moist. With most cps you'll want to use a watering tray, but for germination I like to keep things a little less wet to prevent the ick from growing. Just make sure that the medium is damp/moist, but not soggy. You can use fungicide if you want, but I don't have any experience with that so I can't help you for that part.

Though it is true about moving them, they are delicate at times and it's best to have them in a permanent container. Have fun with them, they are one of my favorites to grow.

I give a hearty thumbs up to what Wickedthistle said! I had them in enclosed container at a window sill. Within a couple weeks they germinated. I kept them enclose for another week or so and started leaving the lid off di\uring the day. Now it is totally off. They grow SO fast!

I'm happy that you two say that. I was really worried that I might not be cut out for these beautiful plants. What would you say is the best method for germination that won't lead to fungus. I hate fungus so much and I haven't got any fungicide. My spatulata seeds died that way and I didn't even grow them in a container. I'll grow them any way that won't lead to fungus so what would you say is best? I know that growing them in closed containers can lead to fungus very easily. I already know to microwave the soil first because fungi doesn't like heat and they must all die! DIE FUNGUS DIE!! So which method will not lead to evil fungus growth? Outdoor or indoor? I know that outdoor would mean in an open container so that the seeds don't cook and inside would mean that it would be in a closed container. I don't think that my plant light is strong enough either. And none of my "safe windows" face the right direction. So would outdoor be the best?

All I did was take an old filter tip dispenser that has 3 parts to it - an inner container that has 100 holes in it; an outer container, which acts as the "open tray", and a cover. I put my soil mix in, added seeds, and then deionized water. I sealed it up and placed it at a window sill. they germinated and I kept them covered for a couple more weeks. Then I took them home and began the process of acclimating them tobeing opened up to the air. I erxperienced no mold whatsoever. Perhaps I was just lucky.

Do you think I could just put them in a pot of 2 parts sand and one part peat and stick them outside in full sun with high humidity? The humidity has been skyrocketing here lately. Right now it's 82%.

sure you could- but watch out for heavy rains!

Oh, I guess that means that they don't like being waterlogged. Or.....wet...at...all.. I'm thinking BIG drainage holes then? And covered up during a lot of rain? Got it. Thanks for the help.....again...lol

they like well drained soil, but what i meant is that heavy rains can destroy them! rain has destroyed several batches of newely-germinated seed of mine, then i learned to grow them inside for awhile
smile.gif

I speak from experience: you Don't want your seedlings in the kind of rains storms we had last month. They uprooted several Droseras and now I have "Sundew Surprise." My Byblis seedlings haven't gotten outside. They have been window sill bound.

Yeah, we've had some nasty storms lately.

Not fun seeing painstakingly germinated seedlings floating and migrating. But then again, that was my own shortsighted fault in not anticipating my lack of drainage capabilities.

Well those storms were no....."storms" They were like... "ten minute typhoons"
I took some pics of the clouds because they were so....cool. I had to move my plants out of the rain. Mostly because my cacti would burst with all that rain.

Back