What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sundew not looking very good

My D. Capillaris has started turning brown. It is a clump of about 3 or 4 plants, and one started to turn brown.......and now the whole plant looks like it's turning brown and dieing. I read that putting a ziplock bag over it helps it, so I tried that and it didn't look like it helped it much.

Any suggestions? All of my other plants in the area are happy, so I don't know what's wrong with it. When it got here, it looked like it had been flowering for a little bit, so I cut off the scapes hoping that it would put some energy into growth.

Any suggestions? Maybe just take a couple cuttings....or do you think it will grow back up from the roots? Thanks.

- Joel

This is not uncommon for the species. My D. capillaris forms routinely "kick back" in the warmer months. At this time, I reduce watering and keep the plant out of strong sunlight, aiming for moist and not wet. Also increasing air circulation is a better plan I think than the baggie routine. Cuttings are always a good idea, but I would not give up on the pot since the species routinely perks up in my collection after resting.

I am experiencing the same phenomenon. Currently, it is outside, open tray, southern exposure. So I guess all I need to do is bring it ot the back of the house for awhile and wait it out.

Back