What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera spatulata dying

I got my sundew about a month ago and it had a rough shipping experience. It was uprooted and I couldn't even tell what it was because it was covered with so much dirt. For a week after I got it, it stayed green. But now its dying. Its all brown and limp and just sad.

So I was wondering what I'm doing wrong. Its in the same pot and medium it came in. Its sitting it a little tray of purified water. It only gets about 60% humidity because I can't get it higher. I also gets inderect light, but not much due to it being so rainy this summer.

I'm obviously doing something wrong, I just don't know what. Any help would be appreciated.

I also wanted to know how to propigate sundews. I heard people talking about cutting leaves. Can someone explain how to do this?

thank you
biggrin.gif

here's a picture of my sundew....

sun2.jpg

and a baby on I tried to replant

sun1.jpg

Hmmm......I can't tell you if it will live or not.  I know that certain sundews sometimes die down to their roots, and then come back again, but I don't know for sure if a D. Spatulata will do that.

I can help you with the leaf cutting part though.  To propagate a sundew with this technique, you simply cut a leaf off close to the base of the plant (growth point) and lay it flat in the dirt.  Cover the end that you cut with dirt, and put a little bit of dirt on the other end that produces the dew, the reason for this is mainly to keep the back of the leaf touching the dirt.  Then you wait.  My Rotundifolia took about a month to start growing.  A D. Spatulata might be a little faster, not sure, but it's probably right around there too.  I cover mine to keep the humidity up until they sprout, then I only cover them at night.  They like the soil to stay wet too.

Feel free to pm me if you have any more questions.

Good luck!
biggrin.gif

It is very possible that it wasn't you at all. It may have been in roughshod shape upon arrival. D. spatulata, in particular, assuming you received a plant in decent health, propogates very nicely by its own plantlets.

Last August I bought a "clump" from a local retailer. I was SO new to the hobby that I didn't even realize that there were several plants within the clump. I separated plantlets from its perimeter and placed them in other pots. After a few month I noticed that the girth of the original clump never got smaller. before too long I had enough post of them to give away to co -workers. This summer they have been flowering like crazy.

They do like to grow
smile.gif
 Mine has a few leaves that are touching the peat, and are growing plantlets from them.  A leaf cutting without the cutting part!
biggrin.gif

Back