What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shrinking tuber

Hello All. I bought a tuber of D.macrophylla this our spring wich was fall in the souhtern half were i got it from. I planted it and it barely grew, very small undeveloped roset. I dried back to the same tuber wich was fine at frist but now it is starting to shrink and i am not sure it would survive to this winter or fall. Do you have any suggestions what to do with it to try and help it survive? Should i put it in a small bag with moist Sphagnum? Should i plant it and water it now?
Also i can see it tried to develope another shoot. Mybe its tring to grow again?

Any help or comment would be very much apriciated.

Thanks

Yoav

Unless the tuber is showing signs of growing there is no sense in planting it. The tubers should be stored in some barely damp LFS or peat in a ziplock. Keep them cool and in the dark until signs of growth are noted, then replant.

Good luck!

I would do exactly as Tamlin has just recommended. It is vital that these plants remain cool over Summer. The reason the rosette did not develop properly would undoubtedly be because the temps are too warm where you are growing it.

When this species is in active growth here in Australia the days are very cool and the nights cold. Any temps greater than this and the plant will struggle.

D. macrophylla is not one of the easiest tuberous Drosera to maintain in cultivation. It rarely produces daughter tubers and often the tuber will shrink from year to year or just rot for no apparent reason.

Coincidentally I just tipped out my macrophylla tuber from its pot this evening as it has gone dormant for the year. I was pleased to see that the tuber has increased in size from last year.

Hi. Thanks very much for your replyes. I will do has you both recomended and hope for the best. I know they need cool temps and grow at winter time but adjusting it to the northern part season cycle was my problem since i can cool it down somehow.
Also in what depth do you plant your tuber every year? Wont taking it out of the soil every time make it strrugle every year for growing out of the soil?

THnaks again and all the best

Yoav

Back