What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

About drosera with pics...

Hey guys, I just sowed some D. capensis seed I used a light medium of peat and sand. I hae 2 questions... I didnt even think when I mixed the peat and sand and used a litle tap water to moisten the peat... I realized this after I had added the seeds to the pots already! I have an RODI filter, do you guys see any problems with the initial tap water? ofcource the water from now on will ofcource be RODI.

My other question is I used these 32Oz plastic container that slip perfectly over my 4" pots as a little green house, will the constant humidity be good or bad? in other word do they need ventilation.

Here are some pics:
MiniGH.jpg

MiniGH2.jpg

Thank you,

-Juan-Carlos

Ps. thanx Cp2k for the start!

i find that d. capensis is quite easy to grow (even tho i killed mine
confused.gif
). the dome is not needed and may do more harm than good as it will attract fungus. a little tap water wont hurt the seeds as long as the tap water is human safe. the best idea is to keep the pot with your other cps and it will germinate. good luck. Zongyi

ok sounds good Zonyi, thanx!

-Jc
Miami, Fl
www.jcreef.bravehost.com

just had to comment on how fabulous your black perculas are!

I notice the name D. alba marked on the container. D. alba is a different species, the proper name would be D. capensis 'Albino', which is how it was published. I doubt most growers will ever call it by it's true cultivar name, prefering D. capensis "alba", but calling it D. alba will only create confusion.
Just so you know
smile.gif

Hey Juan-Carlos, Another thing you may want to bear in mind is that these seeds can take several weeks to germinate, so don't despair if you don't have shoots right away.

Hey guys, Thanx justlikeapill, I have 2 pairs on in that tank, and one in my 75g reef.. they are one of my favorites! Tamlin, Good to know its 'albino' I know its D. capensis 'alba', but I just put D. alba for short but I i'll ahead and change it to D. capensis 'albino' thanx for letting me know!
Schloaty, thanx for the advise, I was reading that they can take anywhere from a week, to a couple months... let hope its sooner than later;)

thanx all you guys for the input!
To keep the humidity I used the pots saucer, but filled it with gravle useing RODI water. I havent watered over head at all... I figured the seed is almost powder I dont want to burry it heh hope thats fine.

-Juan-Carlos
Miami, Fl
www.jcreef.bravehost.com

I know that when I knew nothing about drosera seed (not that I know much more now) I thought then needed alot of humidity...not so, those things are like weeds. I have literally hundreds of them. just trying different things like sowing them outside, root cuttings, you name it, and that plant will more then likely grow. tamlin is right about the albino name too, I've corrected that in my own world. sounds more professional too.

Back