What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. scorpiodes picture

I also got gemmae from BCK, the resulting plants from which are doing great. I'd love to post pics, but I lack a digital cam, and by the time I get one it will be dormancy.
smile_h_32.gif

Thanks again, BCK! o/

Yeah! Awesome. I tried them once, and they did great, but then They all disapeared.. Overnight. It was really wierd. I guess something ate them... Wierd. I cant wait till this fall!

Craig

Hi CPC this time I put them out in the green house instead of in my inside growing area. I guess the main differences would include; outside there is a night time drop of about 15 degrees... the humidity (on adverage) is higher by about 20% putting it up to 55%-65%, and getting natural sun rather than the flourecent tubes I use inside... So, I guess it was one of those things that did it...
Andrew

Here is a picture of BCK's gemmae, that came from Cephalotus88, taken a couple months ago. Next to it is Vic Brown's, mostly obscurred. Obviously, the clarity is greatly suffering, but it was the best I could do.

101_0167.jpg

Not sure how I missed this one guys. I just found it last night when I was catching up.

Andrew, you're welcome. We all need a second chance at these things, and sometimes a third and a fourth and enough about me. My second reason for posting this and popping it back to the top was to tell you guys that...(drum roll please).... I have more gemmae (already). They will be ready sometime next week when I post them in the trading post. I'll give more details then.

Cheers!

I can tell you for a fact that both Vic's plants and Cephalotus88's are the same clone.

In spite of my el cheapo Earthlink camera - how? I never would have perceived it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tamlin Dawnstar @ Oct. 01 2004,7:59)]I can tell you for a fact that both Vic's plants and Cephalotus88's are the same clone.
Thanks Tamlin, I was hoping they weren't but one can't have everything or there'd be nothing new to look forward too.
biggrin.gif
!

I have one D.scorpoides left(Grrr.....dad let them dry stone dry dead). But there is still hope because they produce gemmae like mad right?

Quick Question: D. Scorpiodes does or does not need dormancy? Temps are starting to cool and I need to start bringing non-dormancy plants inside. Same question also applies to D. spathulata and D. Aliciae.

Pond boy,
I think you may find that "produce gemmae like mad" somewhat of an understatement.

Cynic, they have a summer dormancy, but I have grown mine without one. If they do start going dormant, let their soil dry out and water sparingly from the bottom. Just enough water to keep the bottom layer of soil moist. It helps to grow them in tall containers so that you can let the top of the soil dry out while the soil in the bottom is still moist.

Pretty neat. I've never grown any pygmea drosera before. Not even gemmae. What do gemmae look like? Does anyone have a pic? I always pictured them as big seeds that aren't ripe yet. One a scale of 1 to 10 how hard is scorpiodes to grow?

so why are they so rare? everyone has the same clone (apparently) and talmin said something about distributing rare plants?

Well I don`t know but they are real easy in my experience.

Back