What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seed stratification

I have acquired several different types of Drosera seed, mostly through the kind offerings of others on the list, but am wondering which types if any require stratification and for how long. I planted some seed of D. binata and it is really taking off. By the way how big should they get before transplanting? Thanks!

If the seed was from me, then it can be immediately planted.

Thoughts differ on the best time to transplant.  Most Drosera are natural clumpers, so there is never any real rush, although they tend to grow with more character when they have the space.  I sow my seed very carefully to allow the plants to grow for many months before transplanting.  If the plants are thick together as seedlings, they may be lifted out after they have 3 or 4 true leaves, a fairly simple and straightforward process.

Gee, I was just gonna ask the same question because I got bunches of seeds from Tamlin. But now I know. Thanks Tamlin!

Do you literaly just pull them out of the soil when you repot seedlings? Or do you get a ball of soil with it so that you don't disturb the roots?

Back