What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My first stab

Well... planted my first seeds... did a mix of peat moss and LFS. Trying to do it in the little plastic containers that my old CPs came in from Lowes.. the lil terrariums.

Dumped my capensis seed into the top of my lil mix and tapped it up to seal in the moisture. Leaving it outside now to get direct sunlight.. Wish me luck
smile.gif

Might get too hot in direct sunlight.
Have any bright shade?

It is right next to my porch sitting on top of a flatroof that is used for storage. Kind of confusing sounding I know. Would probably get about 7-9 hours of sunlight before it falls in the shade, and even then it is kind of a bright shade. Never timed how long the sunlight hits outside as I am a complete newbie to these
smile.gif

Last year I accidentally placed one of my trimmed capensis flower stalks on top of an open bowl of adelae. It couldn't have been there for more than 10 seconds. Well, this spring 100s of tiny capes popped up all over the place. The bowl received no sun at all and was just on a bright windowsill. You'll find capes are somewhat related to weeds in their ability to grow quickly and in a variety of situations.

Direct sunlight is a bad idea, dim light is all that is needed for germination, too much light encourages algae and other nasties under lights, and outdoors the tiny seedlings are likely to cook. If you must germinate the seed out doors I suggest broken sunkight and no cover, although this will slow things down.

Yeah I've learned to NEVER put a covered plant in direct sunlight. *mourns his late VFT*

It has been moved indoors and sitting on a window ledge now. Maybe that will be a better growing environment for the girls.

We will be looking forward to seeing the girls when they are born
biggrin.gif

Back