What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Storing drosophyllum seed

Just received some Drosophyllum seed. I assume that I should wait till spring to sow them? So I need to know how to store them. I currently have them in the fridge, is this ok? Thanks.

I don't think "proper" storing Drosophyllum seed is much of an issue to be concerned about. A couple of years ago, I found a paper bag with packets of both Drosophyllum and Byblis gigantea seeds that had been buried in a refigerator at my office for 22 years. Yes, 22 years! The bag was covered with spilled gunk (a very specialized technical term) that had accumulated over the years. Both the Drosophyllum and Byblis germinated just fine. 95 of 100 Drosophyllum seeds germinated.

Wow thats pretty good Bob!!!!!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

IMO, better to sow them in the winter. Around Nov-Dec. would be good in the southern CA area. The young seedlings like cooler conditions.

That's very encouraging info Bob! Ok, I'll sow half during winter and see how it goes.

Remember that you must scarify the seeds before sowing, otherwise they will not germinate.

i just sowed some today, wish me luck! i felt so bad scarifying the seeds, i felt like i was comming one of the worst crimes in humanity...
smile_h_32.gif
but i did it anyway lol.

How does one scarify them? Please describe the procedure.

i placed them between two larges pieces of sand paper and rubbed the crap out of them untill theres gray powder that looks like ash. that's the seed coat. when i was done the seeds looked very grey instead of black. it's my first time doing this so i dont know when to stop, so i stopped when they turned grey.

That's interesting. I never knew you had to scarify seeds. When you mentioned it, I thought you just had to sneek up on them and scare the crap out of them
biggrin.gif

Actually......though, I was curious how they do this naturally. How do they manage to sprout on their own in nature if they need scarifying?

i think that the seed coat is scratched off by sand or rocks or something. maybe wind erodes the seed coat with sand. i dunno if this is what really happens but it's a thought.

I doubt it. The seeds can germinate without scarification, but this takes much longer.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CP2k @ Aug. 28 2004,12:42)]I doubt it. The seeds can germinate without scarification, but this takes much longer.
True. But there is much better and consistent germination if the seed coat is scratched (scarified). Take a look at the habitat conditions shown at
http://www.bestcarnivorousplants.com/Drosophyllum_lusitanicum.htm

Many plants that grow in such dry rocky locations require some seed treatment such as scarification or fire which signals that conditions have changed and there is now an increased chance of successful establishment. One such condition that scarifies seed is a landslide or a debris torrent following intense thunderstorms.

Back