What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. binata

• Thread starter mijako10
  • Start date
As we all know, fall will be here in a matter of weeks for us up north.

My small d. binata has been growing well on my porch, basking in the morning sun and pigging out on gnats. I'm worried about what to do with it come fall. I've heard about it's dormancy period which is about 3 months, right? It dies down to it's roots and then comes back. But winter in Minnesota is much long than 3 months and I don't think I could prolong it's rest without it rotting away.

My plan for it is:

Leave it outside during early fall until it dies down.

Put it in a cool (50 - 60 degrees) basement window which recieves a small bit of light and keep the soil just damp.

When it starts to grow again, put it in my mini-greenhouse until the weather warms.

The problem is that it will become too big for my mini greenhouse and then what?...

Or could I just grow it indoors on a somewhat bright windowsill with my houseplants? It would probably still go dormant...

Any suggestions?

I have one too and I've been thinking about it as well. What I think I'm going to do is let it go dormant with the winter and then after 3 months I'll bring it inside and put it under a growlight and ease it into the warmth of a terrarium. Once the average temperature is between 65 and 75 outside I'll put it outside to grow for the summer.

That's a very good idea. I could set a growlight above my houseplant area and set the sundew under it after dormancy. The grouping of all the plants will also boost humidity around the d. binata.

I grow mine outdoors in the warm months. If your humidity is at least 40% it will do well, provided it has a lot of water. In the winter I give mine the same temps as I give the Sarracenia and Dionaea, and all return each spring about the same time. Mine is now a hedge in a 2 gallon container.

You know, I have never put any of the common non-US Drosera outside, like binata and camale reproductive organ. So if in a tray with water, they will do okay, or are you having the water fairly deep, Tamlin?

Cheers,

Joe

i Think ill just take all my tropical plnts in my house and leave them on the window for the winter ill add some artificial lighting as well to keep them happy till next spring

Joe you miss spelled capensis again!
smile_n_32.gif

whats a camale reproductive organ? it sounds kinda intimidating ; i wouldn't wanna run into one of those late at night...

That is the SECOND time I have had this exact thing happen here, where I type in "capensis" and somewhere that exact phrase gets substituted!
Can somebody please tell me what is going on here?

Joe,

Do you have some "helper" spell-checker turned on? If so, there is often a feature that automatically replaces the word in question -- a very dangerous and frustrating option.

It's part of the word filter used here. You probably misspelled the last part of ca-pensis

-pensis is very close to that which hangeth down below, and the filter will not allow you to make mention of dat there thingy.

<blush>

Sort of dumb isn't it?

Back