What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Friends, many you know how hard and long I have labored to secure the rare Brazillian Drosera species seed so that I can increase it and share it.  Currently a friend is in the Tepui's, crawling about looking for seed to send to me!  I am just a tad bit shy of relaizing a long sought after goal.  If I do get the seed, I believe there will be some changes seen regarding the scarcity of this material!

The esteemed Fernando Rivadavia made the first introductions of the Brazillian species to cultivation over a decade ago.  A survey of growlists will quickly show that despite his best efforts, these species are poorly represented in collections to this very day.

Part of the reason is a lack of initiative to distribute the material outside of a fairly elite circle of growers.  It has always been out of the reach of the "little guys" the newbies, and the general CP public.  The plants remain shrouded in mystery, because those that do grow them do not discuss the cultivation protocols needed.  But, they are not all that difficult.  No harder than highland Nepenthes, really.

I believe that with chances to cultivate this material, newbies can become skilled growers, and become part of what I hope will be an all out initiative to do what a decade has not seen: to bring this material within reach of the average grower.

There will be losses and failures, but there will also be learning and successes.  We learn by our losses far more than by our successes.  Everyone should have the chance to kill some of these beautiful plants: reserving them only for the skilled growers insures that they remain limited in their distribution.  Obviously, this has proven to be an unwise plan.  We need to raise up and educate a dedicated cadre willing to turn these myths into beautiful jeweled relalities.  Newbies don't always stay newbies, they turn into the Fernando's, Gibson's, and D'Amatos of tomorrow, and tommorrow needs them!

Should I be fortunate to actually get this seed in hand, I plan on distributing it to anyone seeking it ON THE CONDITIONS that the fruits of the gifts be *freely* shared alwaysand without exception, and also a promise that it will be carefully grown and cared for, and in no way wasted.  You don't just trot down to Lowes for a pot of these!  You spend thousands of dollars, scramble up mountains through thorny brush while bugs and leeches have at you and you boil in your skin.  If you're lucky, no illegal gold miners shoot you.  Every grain of dust like seed is more precious than gold!

I am interested in hearing from growers who feel they are willing to do this work, and whom will take the Pledge.  Please email me if you think you hear these plants speaking your name.  If you're too busy to really tend the plants with care, then be honest with yourself.  If you can grow highland Neps with good success, I suggest you are a fit candidate for the project.  This is serious work folks, but ahhhhh, the rewards!  If there is a good response we'll begin discussing cultivation of the Brazillian species: the do's and don'ts of Brazillian Drosera cultivation.

Brazillian Drosera are simply the most beautiful Drosera in the world!  It is my dearest wish to see them spread, as they surely need to spread.  Not even the Tepui's are immune from development.

Just get me the seed, and let me show you what I can do with it!  Come on seed, come!

Draw a pentacle.  Pray to Jesus.  Send postcards to the Almighty.  Ring up Dumbeldore and Gandalf.... Do a seed dance! Tie an old oak tree around the yellow ribbon!

I might be jumping the gun, and maybe nothing will come of this, but, you know, I have this gut level feeling that some things are meant to be, and this is one of them!  I have been (and am) so excited I can't sleep!   My heart goes thumpty bumpity thump like an  Jolt addict adolescent on his first date with the girl in the pink cashmier sweater... It's Walter Cronkeit chanting 5-4-3-2-1......we have lift off, we have lift off (Like YOU remember that)!!!! It's the biggest Christmas Eve of my existence, with a visit from Seedy Clause..  It's like I won BIG on BINGO nite at the Moose lodge...or having the Ferris Wheel stop with you...right...at...the...t-t-top!  

Oh, and YES, it is the Last Laugh, and here I quote Fernando, "Ha ha ha"!

Now would be a good time to cross the fingers!  A New Age is dawning for Brazillianless Drosera horticulturalists.  The unworthy will be made twithe, I mean, twice worthy!  The sun isn't quite over the horizon, but by St. Hillare, I do believe I see a glow!

OK.  Thanks for the ear.  I'm off for another cup of coffee, heh heh.  I got some more praying to do.

Wow, how do I follow up that post?
Is your friend searching for specific Drosera(like meri-you-know-what)?

Cheers,

Joe

Wow...truly inspiring Tamlin!

I have no problem with your pledge, I think it's very wise and should be applied to all pnats, but I'm too afraid I will lose such precious plants you worked so hard to gain to say I will participate.

I do however have faith that you guys can do it and wish you luck. I'll help if I can by lookng around for some info on the brazilian if there's any to be found around here.

Good growing!

Sounds like a plan, Stan.
smile.gif
Its about time of this rare stuff gets spread to the "commoners". Some will fail but for every success, there will be more plants and more seed to spread. Ripple effect. We must keep these plants in cultivation against future habitat destruction.

Carry on General Tamlin.
smile_m_32.gif
And thanks to Fernando in any way he can help spread these jewels.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tamlin Dawnstar @ Sep. 03 2004,8:28)]Everyone should have the chance to kill some of these beautiful plants.....
Man that is funny for some reason; true, but really darn funny.
I am looking forward to taking that chance
smile.gif

Ssvein, don't worry, if I can get stuff working I'll make sure you get a shot at any seeds I manage to end up with, your dedication is fairly obvious, and as Tamlin noted, you learn more from failures than you do from success in most cases.

I will cross my fingers for all of us as well; with persistence and care such an altruistic goal as is proposed is no doubt within our collective grasp

\m/
biggrin.gif
\m/

Hehe thanks carl =).

Counting on you then ^_^.

Though I wuld call it more a newfound obssession/addiction than dedication.
And I belive I've already found something about those brasilians here : http://dionee.free.fr/bulletin/txt/d_27_c.htm

It's an article in the "Dionée" maazine writtien by a guy studying at Sào Paulo's Univertisy in the Biology departement talking about his trip in Brazil and describing the carnivorous plant he encountered, along with what they looked like, where he found them and what are the conditions they seem to be having.

It's in french, but since it's my native language I'll have no problem translating the juicy parts for you if you want me to.

I think thats Fernando article.

It is Fernando's article. His name is right under the title.

I am as of now afraid of Brazilian Drosera. I haven't even grown a nep before. I'd feel horrible if I had one and it died.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]you learn more from failures than you do from success in most cases.
hehe, but its better to learn from failures of others and stear clear of making your own. you may get a good laugh while your at it, lol.

well, i never thought biologists can write such a well put article. how many times did you have to edit that?
biggrin.gif

i have seen a national geographic article on the tepuis, and the drosera are amazing. truely gorgeous.

anyways, i am also a willing guinuea pig. i have some experiance with highland neps (inermis, lowii, etc). if im not thrown off, i will gladly hang off the plank in this drosera boat and perhaps bring a few other canadians along to hang there with me. Zongyi

hmmmm i guess i better start seeing if i can grow highland Nepenthes.........glad i put my order in to Tony
smile_m_32.gif
ill send good thoughts your way Tamlin.

Rattler

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]It is Fernando's article. His name is right under the title.

It is? *goes checking* Gasp! It is! ...how embarassing...! there I've gone and made a fool of myself already...
sorry guys!
I'll just shut up now. *hides under bed*

Hi,

That's good news, William! Can't wait to see the plants in cultivation.

Sszvein, i would really like to see a translation of this article as my french is not the best anymore. As it is written by Fernando there should be an english version in the CPN (?). Does anyone know in which issue?

Christian

Sszvein,

If you are doing this sort of research, I suggest that you DO have the ability to grow these plants, and I will be happy to help you learn and refine your techniques. It will be a learning experience as to just what is possible with these plants. Hopefully there will be plenty of seed within a few years. The plants are slow growing, but I anticipate there will be as many successes as there will be failures.

Christian, I have a hunch you will be seeing these plants close up. Woo hoo!

I hope we can all get D.tentaculata, south america's answer to D.slakii. I also would like to see D. virdis enter maistream cultivation.

D. viridis abd D. tentaculata are Fernando's new species (two of them anyways!). Like the closely related D. communis, D. viridis is a real rarity in collections. I would like to see them too!

The whole experience is going to be a learning one for me as well since the seed will all be unidentified and coded by location only. I am about to get a major lesson in Brazillian Drosera taxonomy I think. Even with the publications in hand I think I am going to have a hard time telling D. viridis from D. communis based on seed testa.

My D. communis are doing well now and I hope to have them flower this season sometime! We are looking good!

Count me in, Tamlin! I'm a little drosera-light right now, and am on the brink of being able to enlarge my growing capacity as my new basement grow room takes shape. I've realized my basement provides year-round temps perfect for highland nepenthes, so I should at least be able to get a shelf dedicated down there. Woohoo!!! Brazilian Drosera!!

Capslock

WOO! this is like the second coming of christ- i mean drosera!!

i wish i could grow them, but can't provide highland conditions at the moment. William, have you thought of sending small portions of seed to the ATL for study?

Tamlin,
Might do when mabudon and Zongyi_Yang are so bursting with seeds they'll be coming out of their ears, right now I'm far too intimidated to participate yet. I'm still at the cultivating weed stage.
(My ping is getting a buttery feeling again! Guess it's starting to like me now =D. )

Oh, you'll be onboard soon Sszvein; once Zongyi gets a hold of this stuff there'll be nothing stopping us
biggrin.gif
You really musn't be so hard on yourself; your interest will guarantee your skills down the line, just keep at it
biggrin.gif

Back