What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tips brown/dying

I have a D. capensis I got through the mail a few months ago. It was bare root so I potted it up and put it in the water tray under the florescent light. Seemed to be going along good until lately - the tips of the new growth are turning brown and dying before they get fully developed. Although I did notice just now it has a flower stalk starting!
Am I doing something wrong or too right?
Thanks!

D. capensis can be a pill sometimes. I notice this condition most often when there isn't a good night time drop in temperatures, but browning of the tips can be caused by any number of conditions.

Is your water good, with a low TDS?

What is your mix composed of? If there is sand in it, it it white silica sand or multicolored grains?

How much light do you afford to your plant?

Is there any evidence of insect attack? (white specks, webbing, visable insects?)

The water is collected rainwater but that all I know about it.
Haven't seen any unusual insect signs.
The mix is about 50/50 spag. peat moss/perlite.
It had been about 10-12" from the tube until the other day when I moved it about to 4"(after all this started.)
Hope that will help in the diagnosis.
Thanks!

Then it sounds like you are doing it all right. It proobably is due to lack of the temperature differential. Our Singapore members have the devil of a ime with this supposed "weed" and I think that it also is because the tempertures there are too constant. I predict your plant will perk up as the nights become cooler. Good move putting the plant closer to the lights, light is always a prime consideration in any growing scenario.

My capensis looked pretty ragged after several weeks of the flowering process. You may want to consider snipping it until it gets healthy again. I snipped its second scape and now a third is emerging. It won't be its last flower.

Back