What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. capensis red seedlings

For a while I recieved some D. Capensis Red seeds and now they are still small, but their characteristics are obivious. Now here is my question- about half of them are pure red in the sunlight, and the others are red but not the whole plant, just some leaves but deffinetly darker then the capensis.

Should the non pure red forms be distibuted as a red capensis or what?.... or should they be isolated?

I noticed the same thing when I planted some 'red' seed. I have one that is solid red. I will take cutting of this plant when I make more. Several others look like typical to me. I'd like to see what others think. I'm going to call the not so reds, typical.

Good observations. It is normal to find a range of genotypes from sexual reproduction (seeds). A plant variety or form is "improved" by selecting those offspring with desired characteristics and rejecting the remainder.

There are several "red" varieties floating around, so possibly different clones produce this effect? My own rubra form seems quite stable, and produces only red plants.

Back