What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. spat

I have some d. spat that have purple to pink colored flowers. I have another variety that I got from wal mart last year that are considerably smaller (plant size) than the others and have white flowers. the flower stalks are composed differently as well. the wal mart plants have flowers closely oriented to one another, while the other d. spat have the flowers all at the top. any help in id'ing this plant would be appreciated...

Well D.spatulata is almost imposible to I`d variety as there are so many and they are so similiar and there are so many crossbred plants it`s like how can you I`d them?

Wow Drosera at wally world?! All ive seend is vfts,S.purpurea ssp.venosa and S.x 'ladies in waiting'.

Well, ID is somewhat possible. A very good criteria for seggregating the different populations happens to be floral color. As far as I know, only the Australian D. spatulata from Melbourne or Fraser Island (including the rather bogus D. lovellae), and the New Zealand types produce white flowers. Of these, it is highly unlikely that the NZ forms are a conideration here as they tend to be more tempermental in their culture, especially the alpine forms. I would say the white flowered D. spatulata comes from Queensland, Australia.

The pink flowered form is more difficult to assess as these are more common forms across the range. In general, the smaller rosetted forms with mature rosettes an inch or less may be reasonably expected to come from the Asian stations, e.g. Borneo.

There are some stable forms associated with specific locales, and with a photo of the rosette, peduncle, flowers and seed details I might be able to offer more insight.

Back