What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. madagascariensis flowering.

Hey,
My D. madagascariensis is flowering, and I'd like to know if I have to polinate, or does it self? Is seed a good way to propagate this sundew?

Capslock

it selfs.

cool, i used to have a seedling of this plant, but sadly it got buried in the making of my terrarium
smile_h_32.gif

Here it is:
D_madagascariensis2.sized.jpg

Capslock

Very pretty pics. I've got a couple, just about the same size, outside. Is there time left for flowering before the growing season is over?

Mine seems to be as prolific in seeding as D. capensis, so watch the seeds.

Very beutiful plant! It kinda looks like a scorpiodes the way it has the stem and all.

I got 'em in February from emesis (thanks again!), when they were just little guys.

Capslock

My tallest one, all of 2.75", just fell over in the pot. How tall are yours, Capslock?

Hmmm. Mine's about 3 inches tall, at least the biggest one is. I don't know how big they get, these are my first ones! They grow nicely, though, and I'll have lots of seed soon, hopefully.

Capslock

in theory, theres no limit to how tall they can get. just takes time.

if you snip off all offshoots, i bet they can get taller in a shorter amount of time.

I do think they when they hit a certain limit the tip would turn brown and stop growing. Sometimes, an offshoot would grow from the brown material. Mine can reach 10-12 inches.

Mine reached over a foot tall before they died back. If the stem cascades so that the growing tip is lower than any other point on the stem, the growth will start from another point. To get tall plants, you have to keep the stem upright.

My biggest one, all of 2.75" is in need of a shoulder to lean on. Capslock, my plants are a little younger and a little smaller than yours. Probably also a little behind in development.

Mine also reached over a foot (supported) before dying back and sending out new shoots.

Is D.madagascariensis an annual? From what I know it grows quite well here in singapore. Is it a tropical or what...

It is not an annual. Some varieties of madagascariensis grow in sub-tropical conditions, while others grow in more tropical conditions.

Back