What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. capensis

Wesley

God must have an interesting sense of humor
Can a D. capensis survive dormancy with a pitcher plant? I have some growing in the same pot as my S. minor. Any help will be appreciated.

Wes

Although it is cold tolerant, I doubt that it would survive too many episodes of freezing, or being frozen for long periods.

Wesley, I noticed by your profile that you live in N.C. Your capes should be OK with the mild winters you have there. I'm in Michigan and keep my capes outdoors until Novemember 1st without any problems. This species is about as versatile and hardy as they come. But, as Tamlin said, be careful of freezing temps if they persist.

I've seen larger capes growing as "weeds" in Sarr plants at the Meijer Gardens and those pots get set in the big cooler every year so I guess they can take some cool, but if your worried, jut pop them out into a new pot, they don't shock badly.

capensis has survived for me as long as it does not freeze. I have had it come back from the roots even after being cold for long periods (34-40F). But in my experience, if it freezes, it’s done.

Steve

Back