What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Biblis

Edit: okay, apparently it is spelled Byblis and my reference spelled it wronge, lol
Lately I've taken an interest in Byblis species.  Something about their funny forms and flowers that look like they sprout of the tips of the leaves just makes me smile.  So far the only species I have worked with, or for that matter seen in real life, or even seen decent pictures of is B. liniflora, the annual/short lived small species.  Now I knew about B. giganta, but not about the other less common 4 species.  I would really like to find a nice longer-lives species to both grow for myself and at the Meijer Gardens.  Does anyone here grow these plants?  Even if it is just the more common B. liniflora I'd love to hear stories about them because frankly it's one group of plants I just don't know much about.  So far the only thing I've ever done with them is collect a little extra seed and set it in a new pot so the Meijer gardens has a back-up pot in case the something fries the existing pot.  The plant in the existing pot is very old and falling all over the place, will probubly die soon.  I would have loved to see it at it's peak, but that would have been last year.  Anyone have pictures to share?  I really love these funny little plants and I don't think we spend enough time paying tribute to them.  Thanks all ;)

-Darcie

P.S.  I have an awsome window in my dorm room this year so I can bring my plants with me, yay!

P.P.S. I have a pod off of the B. liniflora from the Meijer Gardens, but I'm affraid I'll do something stupid if I germinate them at home without knowing more about them, so germination stories are also welcome... especially for the "tricky" vireties in case I ever actually manage to get seed... you would think more people would have it seeing how much the things produce, but whatever ;)

I have just the normal byblis liniflora. I find that they are the easiest to germinate of the cp's I've grown. Yes, easier than d. capensis! Doesn't matter what mix of soil, just keep it damp and add light.

Here's a picture of my current one taken a few weeks ago. It is in a high humidity tank outside, so the temps are 60-100 daily. No air circulation either! You may notice it's in a vft pot. It should be putting out a stalk this or next week, so this is what they look like just before reaching their peak.
byblis.jpg

smile.gif

I can not tell you much about them as I just recieved 2 small seedlings from jimscott a few weeks ago when he visited. They are doing wonderful in my terrarium. I'm sure if jimscott sees this thread he can tell you about germinating them.

They were also Byblis liniflora. Looks like they get tall. I do not think it will be in the terrarium that long. It appers they grow fast.

Hi guys, What a wonderful community we have here! I received seeds from Wickedthistle this Summer and put them in one of my lab pipette tip dispenser containers. I mixed roughly equal parts of peat and sand and just sprinkled the seeds on top. I added DI water and shut the cover - and waited. A week later, over the course a few days, 23 seedlings emerged. I had losses when I went on vacation, but have 5 healthy plants right now. Hopefully, they will soon flower.

Cool
smile.gif
I'm fairly formiliar with how to germinate the little buggers, even the "tricky species" it's after that I get worried. And of course I'm still looking for seed from any species other then B. linaflora

i dont know why i can't germinate b. liniflora seeds. i had 7 seedlings sent to me, and luckily 2 are still alive and thriving. i'm surprised any survived.

Hi Clint,

Like any other seed, the fresher the better! Maybe the seed you received was older? I think they're pretty tough cookies overall, as long as the wind doesn't knock them over or anything.

hopefully you'r right. that's why i'm going to have to grow seeds produced by my own plants.

for the rare byblis species, you need connections. not that many people have them.

i've heard some of them are way easier to get in germany.

I'm sure if you wait a few months for everyones seedlings to grow up lots of people will be offering free seed. And JustAPill, your plants will produce plenty of seed to replace themselves. If there is anything I actually do know about byblis, it's that they produce a heck of a lot of seed because every week the one at the gardens has new flowers and seed pods on it in every stage of development ;) I'm probubly going to plant my seed (of various CPs I collected at the Gardens inclueding the Byblis) next week when I stop at home. I was going to do it this week after my haircut and shopping trip with my Grandma (whom I thank grately for the free food), but a deer got into my corn patch knoked down all but 7 of staulks, trampled the pumpkin vines underneath and put a hoove right threw my best pumpkin (who is now drying for seed collection since that is all it's good for now). I ended up spending the WHOLE weekend cleaning(all pumpkins to access damage), cureing (all 3 undamaged pumpkins), cutting, cooking, pureaing and freezing the damaged pumpkins :p What is worst, somehow the seeds of a bad pumpkin got mixed in with the others and I didn't know it so their are bitter seeds mixed in my roast pumpkin seeds
smile_h_32.gif
Oh well, Sa La Ve(sp?) The good news is my other pumpkin patch is still alive and well so hopefully they will make it to the begining of october before needing to be harvested (I hardly got any good pumpkin out of my 7 damaged ones because they got dehydrated and I'm not counting the ones that I found rotted in the feild after the disaster :p)

Back