What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. capensis questions

I've gone through the first few pages of this forum but still have a couple of questions.

1. With seed collection would it be preferential, in terms of quality and quantity, to rig up a catching tray to catch seed as it naturally falls from the plant, or just cut the mature flower/seed stalk of when at it's most mature (i.e. just as the lower flowers are starting to release seed) and allow to dry?

2. Is the best chance of seed germination to use a peat/sand mix and place it in the same environment (glasshouse in my case) as the parent plants?

3. How long can D. capensis seed be stored and how is this best done?

3.  I have 2 forms.  Structurally both are the same however 1 has red coloured hairs and pink flowers.  The other has green/white/clear hairs and white flowers.  I can get pics but does this sound like the typical form and albino form?

Thanks,

Aaron.

1. What I do is pull the seed pod off after it has dried on the stalk.

2. They germinate almost anywhere.

3. I have stored seed in the refridgerator.

3. - 4.? typical form and albino form, correct

Thanks elgecko.

Yes, was meant to be Q4. not Q3.

Pulling off each pod makes sense.  No idea why I did not think of that to start with!  

Storage in a paper envelope then in a ziplock bag (once seed is dry) sound OK?

What's the longest you have stored Capensis seed and it's still been viable?  I'd imagine, being as tough as it is, that it'd keep for a fair length of time.

Aaron.

Aaron,

Try "not to" germinate D. capensis, and you will fail, lol.
Actually my favorite medium to germinate Drosera is milled LFS. It seems to give the roots better penetration.

Cheers,

Joe

Hi Joe,

LOL... see how I go as I AM trying!

I collected the lower 1/3 of the seed pods from the flower stalk of my 'typical form' ('albino' not quite ready yet).  A few seeds released as I did this but 48 hours later the envelope that I stored them in was just full of thousands of tiny seeds.  Quite amazing as I had no idea they'd be that small and that numerous!  No wonder they can be an issue if allowed to naturally release.

I've planted a small amount of seed in a 3:1:1 Peat:perlite:Vermiculite mix, which I just happened to have handy. It's a very light and spongy mix which my current D. capensis seem to like equally as much a pure live sphagnum.  So, will see how they go.

I'm also about to collect some seed from my D. whitakeri (red and green forms) but as the plants grow wild on my family’s property I'll just be passing them on to other local CP people.

Aaron.

Anyone abe to tell me the approximate germination period for fresh D. capensis seed?

Thanks.

Aaron.

About a week - and spread them out because they tend to have a high germination rate. If planted too closely, they will crowd each other out. I speak from experience.

Thanks Jim.

I mixed the seed in with some sand to aid in distributing it. I think they may still be Pretty close, so i can always kull or thin them out.

Aaron.

Back