What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photo of a hibernacula

Could someone please post an image of this hibernacula thing that these sundews grow?  I have a very young sundew (of unknown species) about 1cm in diameter that I'm not sure whether it needs dormancy or not.  So, if I knew what a hibernacula looked like, I might be able to tell if my plant is making one, thus telling me that it wants to go dormant.

I did a search for 'hibernacula' on these forums, but most of the images that once were here have dead links now
smile_h_32.gif

Thanks!

The first one is from D. intermedia.

D_intermediaHibernaculum.jpg

The second and third are of D. rotundifolia.

D_rotundifolia_hybernaculum_unfolding.jpg

Starting to open after a winters nap.

D_rotundifolia_dormancy_winterbud.jpg

Just before it goes dormant for the season.

Thanx for the pics, Nick! I have both species and this will be mine and their first experience with it. Question: I have both D. intermedia (cuba) and (Big Giant, from Brunswick County, North Carolina). These, I believe, are warmer ones that won't go dormant. Will they NOT form hiberancula?

Because of its location, the D. intermedia from NC will go dormant.

D. intermedia from Cuba does not go dormant and grows year round. However, it does have a habit of blooming itself to death.

Thanks, Nick
smile.gif

So, basically the plant covers itself with its leaves, right?

Back