What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Temperate, huh?

I have a drosera slackii, my second, and I'd like to find out just what kind of growing conditions it requires. I've already looked through my Savage Garden book and haven't found any info that explains just what the term "temperate" or "warm house" conditions are.
Should it be covered for humidity?  Kept in a tray of distilled water? Should it be protected from drafts,(I have a swamp cooler on most of the time). If anyone knows just what temperate means, please enlighten me?
confused.gif
?
confused.gif

thankx,
twotut

Hey twotut,
Temperate usually means a cooler climate where winter temps can hit freezing or below.

D. slackii, however, is a subtropical, and likes it a bit warmer. I grow them in a tray of distilled water indoors in 60-80 degree temps, and they seem happy. I'd just avoid extremes in temperature and it should be fine. Do NOT cover it for humidity, and a moderate draft is fine.

Capslock

smile_n_32.gif
THANK YOU, THANK YOU,THANK YOU!!!
I was wondering about that when I read "The Savage Garden"
and it was included under the heading of subtrp. Don't even
remember just who said it was temperate.....
confused.gif

Thanks for clearing the fog!
smile_m_32.gif

twotut
marian

Back