What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spatulata dilemma

I have a bowl terrarium from petflytrap....which has been working wonderfully by the way. I have 3 venus fly traps, one D. Rotundifolia, and one D. Spatulata. I know the fly traps and the Rotundifolia need dormancy, but the spat doesn't right? So how should I do that? I could maybe try and get that out somehow, although I wouldn't really know how to go about that. Or can they go through dormancy too?

Thanks
smile.gif

- Joel

I think as long as the temps don`t go below freezing and you keep enough light(although no more then 8 hrs to keep the temperates dormant) the spat would be fine.

If it were me, I would take a plastic spoon and gingerly remove the spatulata. Then put it in a typical 2" pot, on a window sill. That's how mine have been since I bought a clump of them in August of 03. They have been blooming all summer.

spats are really tolerant of cold temperatues, while i was in the Dominican Republic i instructed my dad to put anything that came for me in the mail, in the fridge (since i thought it would probably be seeds or something) I received a Spat "suzy q" in the mail and he stuck it in the fridge. Well it was in 39 degree temperatures for 2 weeks. Its now growing like CRAZY. It seems like it never happened...
confused.gif

Thanks for the suggestions guys.  I was told that it would be best to put the venus fly traps outside to give them some cooler temperatures and to help out with them going dormant.  It would also make it an easier transition into the fridge.  If I leave the spat in there, should I put the terrarium outside too?  Also, do I need to put it in the fridge for the winter?  

Thanks again
smile.gif

- Joel

Amateur_Expert, that is really cool. I always thought that they needed tropical temps... I'll try to keep them in there for three months to see how they handle it.

I have a, "If it aint broke, don't fix it" experience with them. I just simply kept my spats on the window sill, where it had naturally occuring reduced photoperiod and temps that got as low as 52 degrees. That worked and two seasons lare I had profuse flowering. However, far be it from me to think outside the box! If it works, we all benefit from the knowledge gained.

I think the short time in the refridgerator helped it out, it looks really great its mind bogling how much it grows in one day.. faster than any of my other spats.

Back