What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D.spatualata "kansai"/tokaiensis

mabudon

Metal King
Okay, I am totally confused, and trying to research it has only made it worse....
Are D.tokaiensis and D.spatulata "kansai" the same thing, as I've read in some places???
Or are they totally different things...I've seen pics which make it seem like they could be either, but you never can tell specific conditions from pics....

Hopefully someone can straighten me out on this (or we find out that nobody truly knows, which wouldn't surprise me)

Drosera spatulata 'Kansai' and D. x tokaiensis are the same thing.

The plant is actually a hybrid between D. spatulata and rotundifolia which occurs naturally in Japan.

Thanks SD, that is sorta what I thought...
So is calling the plant either one okay, or is one name more accurate, officially???

It is widely accpeted that it is a hybrid between D.spatulata and D.rotundifolia. But like D.anglica, it is no simple hybrid, but one that has become fertile after doubling its chromosome number. A regular hybrid between both species would have 2n=30 and be infertile, while D.tokaiensis has 2n=60.

Since it has officially been published as D.tokaiensis this is the name which should be used. Although some people disagree it should be considered a species because of its hybrid origin and prefer to call it D.X tokaiensis for example.

Take care,
Fernnado Rivadavia

Thanks for the complete explanation, Fernando, it had me pretty confused and your post fixed that right up (too bad spatulata "kansai" is the easier of the two to pronounce, english-wise)

Back