What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. regia

The following pictures are not very clear as I had to take them through the tissue culture bottles. In any case you should be able to make out in some of them the D.regia seeds just starting to sprout.

tcregia0001.jpg
tcregia0002.jpg

tcregia0003.jpg

tcregia0004.jpg

Know any good suppliers of tissue culture kits/agar jelly/accessories?

Yeah, Tissue culture seems like something that would be fun to experiment. With does anyone know how much they cost? Or a website that teaches lists what you need to make a kit. It's all so....neat! Then maybe I can actually germinate some byblis and neps seeds! That would be great!

I have a post in the Nepenthes forum with a good place to get a kit and such.

Andre

I'll have to look there then. Thanks.

theres a place called kitchen culture, and they have kits for begginers they have a kit for cps for $79

Can I ask how you sterilize the air in it and put the seeds+jell in it fast enough without contaminating it? I wish you success with the seeds
biggrin.gif
. Zongyi

Zongyi_Yang: If you do your manipulation in a 'almost closed' container (such as a fish tank, on its side), and work close enough from a flame (ie alcohol lamp), you can achieve to reduce/avoid contamination to almost nothing. Of course, you must have a very clean area (ie the container) and washed your hands and arms properly before doing anything. Plus avoiding air circulation in your room during the transfert.

Zongyi_Yang

To answer some of your questions:

The jelly and air in the bottle are sterilized in a large pressure cooker. The work area ( table top, clean box and even the air in the room) are disinfected with a number of house hold chemicals such as rubbing alcohol & Lysol. Lastly the seeds are sterilized in diluted bleach and or hydrogen peroxide.

So far I have had very low rate of contamination, and the one that did get contaminated was a ceph root ( which I had guessed from the begging would not be sterile).

Andre

Hehe, sounds tricky. Maybe I will get one someday too, but currently, I will rather spend the money on other stuff or more cps
biggrin.gif
. I mean, it's not really the cheapest
laugh.gif
. Zongyi

Back