What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mustn't forget their beauty sleep

Hi everyone =)!

One more question to send you way ^_^.
I know binatas (and multifidias for that mater...) need their beauty sleep in winter...but what does that imply exactly? Cold and dark as usual, or just a bit drier and a shorter photoperiod?

some members of the complex such as marstons dragon and multifida "extrema" dont require a dormancy.

i treat my binatas like any other temperate plant.

I got a D. multifida extrema a little more than a year ago, and it has been continually growing in wet conditions, outdoors, in full sun, in zone 10.  The leaves died a few weeks ago.  Then about a week or two later, it began to grow again from the roots – in several places.  It’s now flowering.  Younger plants grown from leaf cuttings of the original plant did not die back.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Sszvein @ Oct. 07 2004,8:10)]Hi everyone =)!

One more question to send you way ^_^.
I know binatas (and multifidias for that mater...) need their beauty sleep in winter...but what does that imply exactly? Cold and dark as usual, or just a bit drier and a shorter photoperiod?
*please deposit collective wisdom here*
smile_m_32.gif
Cooler, less photoperiod, and drier conditions are implied. From what I have read, there are two basic types in circulation. One that goes through a dormant period and one that just slows down. Mine is a California X Hawaii and slows down.

That's it Jim, add more confusion in my poor little head.
And I was preparing pychologically to send them into dormancy too! Now you tell me they might not need it =P.
Well, I guess we'll see about that.

Mon pauvre petite soeur! You'll need to determine its pedigree. Sorry - again.
smile.gif

So, if I have a basic D. Binata (regular fork leaves) then it DOES require dormancy?

mm hmmm leave it out with the sarrs and vft.

My D. binata, is already doing its dormancy thing (except for one lonly leaf) as is my D. filiformis 'California Sunset'. Like JLAP said, just leave them with the Sars and VFTs.

Back