What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tuberous drosera

I have several types of tuberous seeds in a tray in the greenhouse now. It is cold out there. I checked this morning the the peltata has germinated and has feeder leaves. The D. auriculata looks like it is germinating, but there are three others. As I said, it is getting cold. Can anyone give me an idea of what would be too cold.

Thanks

Hi Copper
Did you sow those seeds in summer (before September) or recently? I have some species I sowed 2 days ago and I'm trying out some experiments as to what methods will yield better results.
Well, the hardest part is over for you, you've got seedlings and they're usually quite tough, in my experience. Enjoy!

Amori

I sowed in september.  Well the hardest part is over for a couple of them.  I have four (two of one species, different collection areas) other tuberous seed types that have not germinated yet.  I am very glad to see the ones that have thus for.

Anything above 0 deg C (F??) will be OK for the germination of the majority of tuberous species. In nature, most of the areas they grown in will not get any lower than that in winter, particluarly those from the eastern states of Asutralia. The WA species will not get that cold but can handle those temps.

You've had a couple of the easy species germinate (D. peltata and auriculata) so far- which others are you waiting on? I find that D. peltata and auriculata germinate and grow like a weed for me in my conditions. Some of the WA species are incredibly hard to germinate though. I have experienced varied success with various species, they are never reliable.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Anything above 0 deg C (F??)
0 deg C = 32 deg F.
I've always said the F method is messed up. AND the measuring system too.
what kind of backwards person decides to divide something in 12? LOL

Thanks Seandew. These are the other types. I will have to watch the weather forcast closely. We are getting near those temps.
D. whittakerii ssp whittakerii
D. erythrorhiza (2 types)
D. auriculata “Pink flower” Mt. Bold, South Australia

Just checked them.

The whittakerii has a couple that are open, but have white inside of goo, not good. Most have done nothing.

The D. erythrorhiza is odd. A few seeds have open and have pinkish plant material appear. Is pink good?

Both auriculata are germinating.

The peltata is growing like crazy now.

Hello. I also will sow soon the tuberous sundews seeds i have soon as wel as the South africans like D.pauciflora. My qustion is: How sould i sow the seeds? Should i sow in a pot uncoverd and kept in good light with direct sunlight or should i plant coverd for moist conditions in a shady area?

Thanks in advance.

Yoav

You might want to check CPUK for the post by Phil Wilson on tuberous 'dews. Sean answered it well though. One thing I would like to add is that it can sometimes take years for germination to occur so do not toss the pots if you do not see anything this year. I have a pot of stolonifera seed that is getting germiantions now and it is over a year old (I remove the sprouts to individual pots so I know these are not rogue returners.)

Hello,

I planted some D. auriculata seed in April, 2004. This is m first attempt at germinating and growing tuberous drosera. The pots where kept dry until about a month ago. I have been top watering the pot with my sprayer. Today, 11.2.2004 I noticed about 20 seedlings. I wasn't expecting germination this soon and the pot was not in a well lit area. What is the normal look of D. auriculata seedlings after germination? Mine are about 1mm tall with two leaves. One at the base and another at the top. I had thought these would be a rosette until the plant developed further. I am guessing the low light caused the plants to stretch.

Thanks,

Nick

I have 20 + peltata, but nothing else showing. Maybe an exchange if they make it. My peltata are forming rosettes.

D. auriculata will form small rosettes the same as D. peltata but a darker green. They likely have etiolated due to the low light levels.

Ok, thats what I was thinking. They now have ample light and should do well with it. They may have sprouted over the weekend as I was gone and did not get to the pot until this morning to find the sprouts. Its been a bit overcast for the 5-6 days around here. Just wish I was around to get lights up in time.

Hello again. i wasnt able to find Phills message from CPUK. How should i try to germinate winter growing Drosera with direct sunlight or without and coverd?

Thanks very much

Yoav

This Guide is really great but i have seen thath there is a diffirence in germinting in the shade and moistre then in the direct sunlight. What have you experianced? Germinating this seeds how should it be done? Would it make a diffirence?

Thanks very much

Yoav

Back