What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have one question but for a few plants.
Do these sundew needs dormancy?

D. alicea = D. aliciae
D. binata
D. filiformis
D. intermedia
D. multifida extrema = D. binata (multifida extrema)

Thnx

Edits - corrected spelling of D. aliciae. There is no species identified as D. multifida extrema it is actually a bogus name for a type of D. binata.

I'm not 100% sure, but the D. aliciae and D. binata (multifida extrema) doesn't. The rest do.

D. multifida extrema & D. binata don't need a dormancy to my knowledge, but my plants have survived over the winter in temps briefly down to 18F.

What subspecies of filiformis do you have? If its filiformis ssp filiformis, or 'California Sunset' then definatly yes.

Any location data on the intermedia you might have?

-Homer

I am not really of what subtype of the filiformis, but it does get red when it have enuff light. I don't no wat is the different between those 2 types; they looked alike to me.
confused.gif
The subtype of intermedia is cuban form.

The Cuban form of Drosera intermedia is a tropical plant - hence, no dormancy.

Don't be too sure of that Joseph. My plants have tendencies to form hibernacula, in which case I treat them as temperate species. The material in my collection came from a source I in no way respect (guess who?) well known for distributing poorly identified material. Better consider the "Sp. Cuba" intermedia as a "suspicious" tropical. I have had individuals go both ways.

I know Binata needs it, i grow one outside, and, with the onset of winter, it has gone dormant. Well, actually i'm not totally sure, i'm almost sure i'ts dormant though, here's hoping it wakes up in March.
biggrin.gif

Oh, Filiformis needs it too. They grow right along with Sarracenias, all of which need dormancy.

D. binata does not need dormancy. It will go into a slowed growth stage in winter but does not go into a true dormancy.

Huy716, if thats the D. binata that I gave you I guarantee it doesnt need dormancy. The intermedia, (if its the same plant you gave me last year) survived winter outside just fine so you dont need to worry about that either. Your filliformis should already be well into its dormancy, mine are completely into hibernacula for at least a month already.

Steve

Back