What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera filiformis seed

I am going to be receiving some Drosera filiformis seed as a gift. Some we would like to start germinating right away. Some we would like to set aside for a bit.

How best to properly store Drosera filiformis seed? In a plastic baggie or small storage container? Sould I mix the seed in with damp vermiculite and place it in the bottom of a regrigerator?

Cool and dry is what most people try to achieve. Mold is a potential concern.

this would be my apporach
Take some spag peat and moisten it a little. make sure to squeeze out most of the water, but not make it to dry. next, place it in a plasic bag (I like to use small bags, often found at jewelry stores being use for, u guessed it, jewelry  
smile_m_32.gif
)
then, so the seeds in the peat in the bag. zip it up, and have it sit in the vegestable section of your fridge, for as long as it needs (I usually stratify seed for a little over a month to 6 weeks.) Check periodically for mold or anything else. come the time when the strat period ends, you can gingerly and carefully remove the peat, and place it on the top of a pot filled with some sand/peat mix (i like to place some LFS(Long fibered spag if u already didnt know) on the bottom of my pots this way stuff doesnt fall out through the holes on the bottome, and it retains water a bit longer) ad place the whole pot in a larger bag. put some water in the bag and zip it up. keep it in a warm place (70-80 will usually suffice dependeing on the seed)  with barely little to no light (as light at this stage will engourage moss growth which can overtake seedlings) and check for anything periodically. Then hen they germinate, place them in bright light (I usually put seedlings under artificial light within 6 inches away from the bulb, but the sun on a sunny window sill is good as well) and weait for your plants to grow.
Just my method, but im sure im not the 1st and only person to do it.
good luck,
Hellz
PS sry 4 the lengthyness, im just finfishing up my homework and want a valid excuse not to do it ^^)

Thank you all.  

Another question, you did mean 60 days not 60 weeks right?  

Sorry to take you away from your homework.

Hellz as a parent I'll have to say that posting to a forum is not a legitamate excuse.
smile_n_32.gif
Oh, and 60 weeks?!?!

Good reply though
smile_m_32.gif
laugh.gif

Woops!!!
i meant 6 weeks LOL
my bad
Hellz

We know what ya meant. Some of us just refuse to pass up an opportunity to playfully tease.
smile.gif
I was going to this morning but ran out of time.
biggrin.gif

Back