What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Growing D. capensis as aquatic

Well a friend of mine gave me too much D. capensis which i didn't really care for to tell you the truth. Well i didn't want to pot them and go through that whole ordeal, plus some had extremely long roots. So i got a 5.5 x 5.5 , 4 inch high plastic clear container (my mom almost killed me) and filled it up with water. Well, i did this just thinking they would stay hydrated, but i was basically sacrificing them. Ironically, they are growing like crazy! They have more dew (and are a deeper green) than the capensis i have in my growchamber.. which are actually in soil! Despite the cold and dry conditions, they are doing awesome. They are 11 of them and i am thinking about separating them into a nicer looking container and placing them around the house.

I tried to kill em and look what happens...

-AE

Ah, a page taken right out of Pinguiculaman! I WOULD suggest re-introducing soil, though.

They are doing great, they look like they love it. If their conditions decline, i sure will. I doubt it will though, they look awesome and growing like mad.

Try finding a way to aerate the water, simulating a hydroponic system. Maybe you might see differences? I don't know myself!

Amori

I have a few extra air pumps from the fish tanks, will do.

So are the plants roots in the water and the rest of them in the air???

How do you keep the D. capensis from capsising? I'd think it might be top heavy...

They don't fall. they sort of support each other since there are so many.

yeah they look pritty cool, i went to his house, we were going to give them to a friend that was interested in growing CP's..hes still setting up his stuff..

Well, not too surprising. I have seen populations of Drosera growing happily for a month or more completely under water. Most Drosera are closely associated with wet conditions and tend to grow larger than the same species in a more dry scenario.

these guys are doing awesome. They have easily doubled in size since i put them in the water and they comsume alot of it. i have to add water almost every day (not just evaportation, because i didnt have to do this before) they seem to have gotten used to it and are full of dew. They have a compact flourscent screw-on all to themselves thats barely a centimeter from them (it isn't very hot, and it gives them ALOT of light) that could be helping also. The bulb must keep them hot during the day and i guess they dont care if its cold at night. They are in my cold, dry room and are full of dew - go figure
confused.gif

any pictures of them?

I visited a place that I had visited many times, and there's a big pond, that is almost always full of water. One year there was a really bad drought and the pond was 5 ft lower than normal. The water line was about 15 to 20 from where it normally is. I walked along the water level just to see what was there. It was carpeted with D. capillaris. They were growing where they would have been 3 to 5 ft under water in normal conditions. Go figure.

Should keep the aphids off of them!

Aquatic = totally submerged in water. Semi-aquatic = roots and some stem in water, remainder of plant above water. Byblis liniflora too grows well as a semi-aquatic.

I came across this topic in a search. Very interesting stuff! I really wish the pictures were still up, because I'd love to see how this was accomplished. I might want to try it myself someday.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PinguiculaMan @ Feb. 06 2005,2:05)]Aquatic = totally submerged in water. Semi-aquatic = roots and some stem in water, remainder of plant above water. Byblis liniflora too grows well as a semi-aquatic.
This was how I grew my Byblis liniflora - in a swamp of live LFS, until the hanging basket crashed into it, destroying the set up. Here's a pic of how it looked - one day before the crash:

AF001901.jpg

Back