What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need advice on how to retain humidity

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LauraZ5 @ Nov. 04 2004,11:41)]Hi Jim, I have a brand new left over cat litter box that we used to make a dessert in for Halloween. We're done using it so I could bring it in. Don't panic, I have not lost it-
cat litter box recipe and photo
Oh man, I am truly laughing my posterior off!
smile_n_32.gif

Hi Joe, you were typing when I was and I didn't see your post until now.  I think the teacher used pencils and inverted them.  She pretty much did exactly what you said.  So much for my bamboo stakes.

Jimscott pauvre ! Il a besoin d'apprendre à ajouter la ponctuation.
http://www.ehow.com/how_10490_add-accented-character.html

So, you liked the tasty Halloween Treat! Um yum yum!  Cat people are all alike!  We are easily amused!  I do have to admit that particular dessert gets a few comments from adults who are way too grossed out to even try it while the kids dig in and scoop for poops with glee. Seriously, I didn't want anyone to think I was using a cat litter box that was contaminated with feline feces or I wouldn't have posted that.

Merci beaucoups! Added to favorites. Grand sourire!

The plant I was all worried about definitely has new growth!
9d23323f.jpg

Guess they are more resilient than what I imagined!

i owudl stand that palnt in rainwter A.S.A.P

The plant is in a pebble tray that is 3" high with rain water.

Hi Laura,

The plant in the photo appears to be a form of D. binata. That particular plant is very hardy and is not very dependant on humidity. I grow my binata forms outdoors in San Jose, California where summertime conditions often have humidity levels well into the low teens and single digits as well as +100* temps. They seem to enjoy the abuse and have never failed to reward me with tons and tons of big beautiful dewy growth. D. capensis forms are also good candidates for similar conditions as are D. filliformis and D. intermedia. As others have said before, experiment some, you might be very surprised to find that your plants are hardier than you thought.

Good luck with your project,
Steve

[b said:
Quote[/b] (vft guy in SJ @ Nov. 08 2004,10:16)]The plant in the photo appears to be a form of D. binata. That particular plant is very hardy and is not very dependant on humidity. I grow my binata forms outdoors in San Jose, California where summertime conditions often have humidity levels well into the low teens and single digits as well as +100* temps. They seem to enjoy the abuse and have never failed to reward me with tons and tons of big beautiful dewy growth.
From personal experience, that particular clone of D. binata multifida is extremely hardy. It has survived baking in the sun, going without water until the soil was bone dry, and freezing into a solid block of ice for several weeks. This extreme abuse resulted in all of the leaves dying and the pot being moved to the "dead plant pile" and forgotten, but with added water or warmer Spring temperatures, it always recovered. It has done best for me when grown in sphagnum in a 1-gallon undrained glass wide-mouth jar that is full of water.

Back