What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need advice on how to retain humidity

Here is a nice big beautiful Drosera. I need to find a way to retain moisture in and around this plant.  We have a radiator issue and an aluminum window down draft problem in the classroom. We are not going to be allowed to put a shelf in front of the radiators to place the plants on which would have gotten them away from the radiators and the down drafts. The plants are going to have to stay on the sills.  

The plant hangs over the sides and I am told it is supposed to drape over the sides like a hanging basket type plant.

Can anyone suggest an online source to buy a big clear plastic/glass cloche for this plant?

I really am at a loss for a readily available product to use to help keep the draft off the plant and to stop the soil from drying out.  Has anyone out there created something that might work that I could copy?

A big plastic rubbermaid storage container? A big clear trash bag would work but you would need to make some sort of frame to keep it 'inflated'. Something moisture resistent preferably.. like 1/2" pvc pipe and fittings.
Tony

An alternative to elaborate construction is to experiment. Perhaps school's conditions, without intervention, will be just fine. Try putting the school specimens in the best place available in the classroom and see what can survive. You may be pleasantly surprised. As a safety net, take a few replacement plants home and keep them in "ideal" conditions. If some of the plants at the school croak, wait until Spring when the heater is turned off and conditions are better, then replace them with the ones you have kept at home. Or, post a note and I am pretty sure that you can get a replacement donation from someone.

This is what I do with the plants at the University greenhouse. They have a "no pesticide" policy. As a result, the CPs are attacked continually by thrips, aphids, scale, slugs, etc. Some CPs do just fine, but all Sarracenia and some Drosera become horribly deformed and eventually succumb. Every few months, I replace the plants from my stock at home.

I have known people that have religiously used distilled or deionized water for years before they discovered that their tap water worked just as well. Experiment!

Hi Bob, I will have nothing left at home other than one D. burmannii (Red Tentacles) because one of my kids helped me try to get them out of the bags and pinched it accidentally so I thought I'd hang onto that little crippled plant and then there are a few Sarracenia that are still out in my garage until this Friday when I had arranged to bring them over to the school too. Turns out the teacher has a garage that never freezes also so I began transferring all of the hardy CPs to her, even the Venus Fly Traps that needed to root for 30-60 days then go out into the garage for a dormancy period. The hardy plants are all the ones that will ultimately end up in their bog next spring outside the school year round. The tropicals and other assorted will all remain in the classroom. Personally, I was sort of relieved they were ALL going to be out of my garage and kitchen because the boys here get sort of... well boys will be boys and an airborn nerf ball is not an uncommon occurrence. I think I better leave well enough alone as pertains to the plants all being over there, as the kids in her classes go and look at them all the time and if they disappeared it would sort of be like making a statement that kids are incompetent at this point. If my decision is a screw up and a few croak... I am thinking that I know exactly where to go to get a few replacements ;) We don't have any more plants being sent, just seed to the best of my knowledge. Next time around I will keep one here as a reserve and just not say anything.

Other than that, I need to begin turning this project over to the teacher. She said she has permission to let the kids dig out the bog next spring which is actually preferable as it is their bog. Let them get a chance to experience solid clay first hand. Their backs are in a lot better condition than mine.

Hi Tony, I thought about what you said and although I have no idea how to make a frame out of pvc (scary thought actually), I did modify in my mind what you suggested that I could make by myself. I am going to pick up 5 bamboo stakes and place them around the edge of the pot. Then I will drape something over the stakes and we have some clear plastic bags that will probably work from the dry cleaners. This should do the same thing, right? At least it will get the draft off of the plant.

Gosh, I forgot the photo-
b20c7095.jpg

One thing that would help is to make sure that the CP containers are sitting in a larger container with distilled water. They refer to that as "open tray". Evaporation takes place, but water does rise through the container and keeps the soil media and plants moist. The evaporation also allows for the "local" humidity to be higher than the room. This is not unlike the lab's envrionment with AC, heat, and hoods, when I had my plants in the main lab. They did well as long as I kept up with adding water to their "trays".

Cat litter boxes?  Sure have enough of those around here.

Oh yes, cat litter boxes are definitely a good idea! I use them. They may not have aesthetic appeal, but they dure DO work!
smile.gif

Bamboo stakes would do fine too.  Bamboo is pretty rot resistant.  Drycleaner bag would work.. might be a bit large hehe.  Another thought was a clear bag from the produce section of your local market if your looking for an inexpensive covering to help hold in some humidity.

Although I also agree with Bob. Once you have a few extra plants start experimenting. Many people get all worked up on providing what they see as the 'perfect' conditions when the plants are often a whole lot more durable then they imagined.
Tony

Why don't you use some of those stakes Tamlin mentioned and make a perimeter to put some plastic around, so you would have a tube of clear plastic surounding the plant? It would increase the humidity and forse the leaves to be more upright.

Cheers,

Joe

Hi Jim, I have a brand new left over cat litter box that we used to make a dessert in for Halloween.  We're done using it so I could bring it in.  Don't panic, I have not lost it-
cat litter box recipe and photo

Hi Tony, I bought the bamboo stakes today. Now all I have to do is remember to bring them in tomorrow morning.  I do have a dry cleaning bag set aside.  Yup, it's large but nothing a pair of scissors can't take care of- snip snip snip.  I will start experimenting when I start CPs for myself.  As far as the plants in the school, I'm thinking I want as few casualties as possible there in the beginning.  Here at home where I can hop on line and find out from you all what I screwed up to right a wrong... it isn't so important but the science room is going to be going it on their own soon.  They're entitled to make their own mistakes in the future after set up is over and if they don't make any mistakes... nobody over there is going to learn anything.  

Hi Joe, Did I miss something?  What stakes did Tamlin mention and what type of plastic goes around to make a cylindrical type enclosure? I like the plant draping naturally but a large enough enclosure would certainly allow it to do so.  I was sent a photo of what that plant looks like when it "grows up" and it rivals the best hanging basket plant that upscale nurseries offer.  I wish I had that darn photo or I'd go and post it or a link to it or something.  You should have seen the mature version of the juvenile plant posted above.  C'est très magnifique!

Watch your language!! Mon Dieu!!!!

Steaks?  No, way too big to feed to most plants.  Did I say something about steaks?

Most Drosera should adjust to humidity levels above 40%. Although they do appreciate humidity, they are a lot tougher than they look.

BTW, I have packed the seed for the class project, and have written a short history regarding D. capensis along with instructions on sowing and growing the seed. It goes out today.

Bonjour Bigweed, Je demande à être pardonné. Je suis désolé. Je ferai attention avec mon choix des mots.

Hi Tamlin! I am so disappointed.  I read the advice here and special ordered Black Angus steaks for the plants at the school. Perhaps I was too hasty?  I will let you know when the seeds are received. Thanks so much for adding directions!  I take it the D. capensis will not be able to digest the Black Angus when they germinate?  Pity, what shall I do with all the beef?  

And Tony... I forgot the gosh darned bamboo stakes I bought for the plant as well as the dry cleaner baggie thing.  I left them right by the back door so I'd almost have to trip over them to get out and I was in such a rush I stepped right over them to get the kids to school.

Good news!  I haven't been to the classroom since Wednesday and there is most assuredly new growth in the center of the big Drosera in just 2 days! Bad news, I left the digital camera at home too so I couldn't take a photo of the new shoots.  All in all, those new shoots are incredibly exciting!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LauraZ5 @ Nov. 05 2004,11:57)]I left them right by the back door so I'd almost have to trip over them
AHHA see that's where you went wrong. "almost have to trip over them"

One must always make their pile of stuff to remember, large enough to insure trippage!

smile_m_32.gif

T

Bigweed?? Thanks, Laura! As for the French----what????? I do not speak it, and I am not even sure I spelled it right.

Oh gosh bugweed, I'm sorry. So many French Canadians that I assumed you knew what you were saying so I teased you back. What I basically wrote was, I ask for forgiveness. I am sorry. I will pay attention to my choice of words. Actually, I'm not all that fluent in the French but more so Lithuanian and English.  

And Tony... truth be known the puppy was trying to make a run for the door to be "freeeeeeee" and I didn't particularly feel like driving around the neighborhood whistling for her for hours on end so I tried to body slam her out of the way.  She weighs more than me so I jumped over the pile and slammed the door with her on the other side. I forgot the pile in the commotion and am sort of hoping the puppy doesn't use it as a dietary supplement by the time I get home. Mornings get hectic around there is about all I can say.  I sent the teacher an e-mail and she is going to rig something.

I was just referring to the bamboo stakes. Is you put four in the compost alon the edge of the pot(on equidistant "corners") and just put a layer of cleap plastic(even saran wrap) around starting at one, and go all the way around, you end up with a open, clear cylinder.

Cheers,

Joe

ROTFLMRO!

I just realized I mistyped your name as bigweed instead of bugweed. I am so sorry but it is also sort of funny! That i and the u are right next to each other on the keyboard.  No intent to offend at all. It's ALL Terra forums fault as they don't have a spell check!

I like Bigweed.. we have lots of big weeds here that require industrial strength roundup to slow them down.

Now THIS is a fun topic! Tres drole. Je parle francais - un peu. Remind me to tell you.... Can't put those accent thingys in there! C'est domage.

Back