What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Capensis doa?

its cold outside here in the bay area, ca got this plant from spectil, at the BACPS, ryte now is time to sleep 4 these plants.

D.Spatulata-dormancy.JPG

this guy is either dying away or going dormant, but ive heard dormant plants jus produce less but not like this!  
mad.gif
its wilting away! is it ready for dormancy? this guy is about almost 2yrs old, tell me if this is DOA?

its still making flower stalks on som of the plants, but the others are , as u see dying away,

its outside in the cold cold 50-60degress F*
its raining and windy nowadays

Those plants aren't capensis. They look like D. spatulata or something similar. Either way, neither capensis nor spatulata go dormant - except for one form of spatulata that is unlikely you have been given. They do well on a window sill over the winter.

Deffinetly not a capensis, has spectil been lying to you... LOL
Looks like a D. Spat or some tropical species. My spats can handle close to freezing w/o damage. But I would bring them in before some more damage occurs.

spect didnt lie, im confusing it with my capensis oops!
biggrin.gif
it is a spat, anyways, spect told me to bring it in my grow chamber, its cramped in there, it was meant for germs and seeds and babies cps'

Just for grins and chuckles, here is a pic of my capensis:

136.jpg

Capensis don't go dormant, they go dead. That is definitely not a capensis though. If i knew what if was i might be able to give some insight. By the way, i don't grow only Nepenthes. I have some Dews, Flytraps, Sarracenias, a Cobra lily, and a BUTTERWORT!

Ahem....Drosera capensis will go dormant if the temps do get too cool. They simply die back to the roots and return in warmer weather during Spring.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (NepenthesMaster @ Nov. 11 2004,12:44)]By the way Jim, that's a nice Cape Sundew.
smile.gif
Thanx! Right now it is producing its third flower. Strange little plant!

You could take a few leaf cuttings before it completely dies away. I got a capillaris in the mail that was pretty good sized plant, and within a week or two it started to get brown and began dieing away. I took three leaf cuttings and put them in the same pot and they all grew! Somebody mentioned that it could grow back from the roots too, so hopefully it will. But if not, I have three perfect tiny specimens in the same pot!

That is a nice looking plant Jim!

Back