What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera peltata

Hello,

Next week I get seeds of Drosera peltata.
Can I sow this now?

Thnx,

Ries

im not sure, but based on evidence i think you can, i heard the enjoy a summer dormancy, so winter should be a good time to sow

It's abit late to sow them. Mine are already starting to grow.

I would make the attempt, and if they don't germinate, just dry off the pot and try again next season.

And the soil....can I use sand from the garden here to sow it? It's poor ground...

Thnx!

Ries

Garden soil is going to be full of contaminants (bug eggs, spores, weed seeds, etc.) so it really is not good to use. It may also have too many nutrients even though it is poor. You are better off putting a little money into silicon (blasting or pool) sand and good peat moss.

Hi,
D.peltata like other tuberous sundews typically grow througout winter. That being said the local ones here (Canberra, Australia) are have only recently started growing as winter was dry and we have had a wet spring. So, go for it.

Cheers,
Craig

Back