What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interesting tidbit of info.................

on pygmy Drosera. i have had 2 produce gemmea with a light cycle of 13 hours on 11 hours off. so much for the strict 10 hour rule. not sure what species as unfortunatly they are un-labeled.

Rattler

Maybe it has something to do with the light levels. You could have stronger 10 hour light and weaker 13 hour photoperiod.

I think the easier to grow species like many hybrids and puchella are more leanient (sp?) to rules like such as that.

both of you could be right. i think it may be the less strong light levels. so do they then have their own lil internal clock? the daylight/dark cycle has never varied and now is about the time pygmy Drosera usually start producing gemmea unless you go through the hassel to force production at another time of the year.

I thought that, too: that reduction in photoperiod initiated the formation of gemmae. I have been diligent in reducing daylength from 16+ hours to 11 right now (still dropping) and still no gemmae. But, this past weekend at the BACPS meeting Joe Mazrimas gave an Australian plant presentation from Allen Lowrie that stated that it was reduction in temperature, not light, that gets pygmies thinking about making babies.
smile_n_32.gif

Back