What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gemmae?

20041122-CP-D.scorpioides-pygmy%20sundew%20gemmae.jpg

At the risk of playing the fool, i'll post a photo of the plants on which i identified the green blobbies as gemmae. However, they don't seem to want to let go of the plants. Are they gemmae, and if so, why won't they let go?

Another view:
20041122-CP-D.scorpioides-pygmy%20sundew%20crowned%20with%20gemmae.jpg

Thats definately gemmae. I was told to try to wiggle them with like a toothpick. If they wiggle easily like a loose tooth they are more than ready. If they wiggle with a little pressure they are ready. If they dont wiggle with a little pressure then give em a little more time.

Steve

I agree with VFT guy. D. scorpioides gemma initially are firmly attached, but can be dislodged with pressure. In a few days (or weeks), they will become more loose.

You will also notice that the leaves die back. The stems of the leaves will stay green, but the trap part will curl down to the sides of the plant. This will make gemmae collection a little easier. It is only temporary. The plants will eventually begin to unfurl new leaves. which will always be in the way to catch any gemmae that you try to collect. You will know you are running short of time to collect the gemmae when a silvery cone of stipules (the silvery-white protective hairs) begins to form in the center of the gemmae. This will eventually be the point from which the new leaves begin to form. I'll post some pics in a bit to show what I mean.

Here are the pics.

This first one is of the stipule cone that is coming up through the gemmae. It's silvery stuff in the center. This is an indication that your plant is about done with gemmae production and is getting ready to start putting out new leaves. Notice how the old leaves are all folded down to the sides of the plant and the traps on the ends are whithered and have not even formed on some stems.
2004_1123_Stipule%20cone.jpg

This is what it looks like when the new leaves (long hairy things) begin to emerge from the center of the plant. Notice there are a few gemmae that I need to collect before the leaves finish emerging. Once the leaves are fully emerged, it becomes very difficult to reach the gemmae to collect them.
2004_1123_New%20leaves.jpg

As some of you have discovered, D. scorpioides produces a lot of gemmae (Boy! is that an understatement). But it gets worse. Sometimes the crown becomes crestate. What is crestate? This is crestate. Behold a mouth full of crooked teeth.
2004_1123_Bad%20teeth.jpg

That's not bad you say, that's neat! Hah!! This is what it will look like next year. Bad teeth are lost and you get a really bad head of hair.
2004_1123_Bad%20hair.jpg

And yes, there are gemmae forming in that mess
mad.gif
smile_h_32.gif

I have a total of three plants that have gone crestate
confused.gif
. My gemmae factory has gone into overdrive. Or maybe it's hyperdrive?

Judging by the looks of a couple of yours Nathan, you're in the same boat. I don't feel so picked on now. LOL . Nice looking scorpioides, by the way.

Great illustration, Steve!

Back