What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gemmae..

ok so sorry i havent posted for a while. nothin new really w/ plants is all. Except my stupid brother killed my d. madagascarenis.
smile_t_32.gif

Anywayz...I was lookin at all my outdoor plants and I noticed that the scorpiodes are a lot smaller and have a lot of gemmae on them. What do I do? (cuz i want more of these) Thanks,
Matt

I just went through this a couple weeks ago. In a nutshell, you want to hold the pot upside down, over a larger container to catch the gemmae. With a toothpick, you coax the gemmae out of the crown.

The same approach would apply to the Captain!
smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Nov. 28 2004,6:04)].... hold the pot upside down, over a larger container to catch the gemmae. With a toothpick, you coax the gemmae out of the crown.

smile_m_32.gif
You don't really think you'll get too many gemmae out of him doing that do you??
smile_n_32.gif

good point haha...
considering hes the ####### who killed my madagascarenis X (
ok thanks, ima try that. Then i will refer to the savage garden for how to plant them...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BigCarnivourKid @ Nov. 28 2004,8:17)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Nov. 28 2004,6:04)].... hold the pot upside down, over a larger container to catch the gemmae. With a toothpick, you coax the gemmae out of the crown.

smile_m_32.gif
You don't really think you'll get too many gemmae out of him doing that do you??  
smile_n_32.gif
Gemmae? He may not get gemmae, but the exercise might be fun - at least for Matt.
smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif

haha
I dun think alan could ever get gemmae.. and I'm still mad at him for killing my madagascarensis... that thing was doing well, 4 inches tall and stuff until he forgot to water it. (he was supposed to take care of it)... UPDATE: I got the gemmae off the top, and planted it on... lfs over peat and perlite...

Don't gemmae do well with a lot of sand?

yea... on two of the pots i had pure sand w/ a lil peat at the top, and a layer of sphagumn..

I had some gemmae I got to try last year. I had it in equal parts LFS, perlite, and peat moss with a top layer of LFS. It did not do very well as I only had one sprout. I'm trying some gemmae right now in a mix of sand and peat moss at a 2:1 ratio. Looks like several of them are sprouting with this mix.

Just thought I would add this, and it has nothing to do with CP's. I just made the above post from the bedroom on the laptop. I just got a wireless card for it and it's pretty cool. The wife is on the other computer.
Why did I bother to post this.......I do not know, it's late and I should be in bed. Oh I am in bed.
smile_m_32.gif

Back