What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Binata cutting

Hello everyone!

I would like to start some Binata cuttings, but what would be the best way to achieve this? To follow the instructions here :
http://epm-britt.ucdavis.edu/Savages/LeafCuttings.htm
?
Which say basically to lay the leaves on sphagnum and covering them partially with more sphagnum?

Or maybe have them grow in a pot of water?

Thanks!

Either way works. I've had great success just cutting a 2-inch section of leaf, and laying it on some peat/sand. I put a pinch of peat over the ends, and that's it. After a while little plants start springing up from it. In my experience, it's an easy one to make cuttings from.

Capslock

If you are primarily interested in cloning binata, I have found root cuttings regenerate very easily. Simply chop the fleshy binata root into 1-inch segments and put them on sphagnum or peat, lightly cover them, and shortly you will have lots of plants.

Root segments work well with D. regia also.

The partially covering method worked very well for me when I tried that with D. filiformis.

It works great for D.spatulata...

So the sphagnum/peat method it is. Thanks guys!

Hey, frankly I'd listen to BobZ. He has more experience than any of us, though I think both methods work, as well as the glass of water method. When it comes down to it, most drosera are pretty easy to propagate.

Capslock

Its works perfectly in RO water too, just enclose the leaf cuttings in a transparent pot (Masson type are perfect) close the lid, place it under light and wait. Most fungal attack are decreased this way, and it's a pretty lazy technique ;)

Back