What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

And after a long wait

DSCN8354.jpg

These are D. capensis. Anything in particular to watch for?

Nice looking seedlings
smile.gif
Just watch out for fungus until they get a little bigger. Lots of light and a little air movement should prevent fungus.
I found a couple small seedlings like those in with my D. capensis about 2 months ago. When they got 1/4 inch diameter I put them in their own 3 inch pot. Now they re about 2 1/2 inches across! They do grow fast
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Cool! So How long will it take to have full grown plants?

I have had capensis grow to flowering size in a little less than a year. However, they continued to grow larger after their first flowering...They DID take a break on the growth, but once they recouped the lost energy (i.e. ate like pigs), off they went again.

Crud, killed a few by not giving quite enough water. Hopefully won't make that mistake again so the rest make it. Any chance of reinforcements arriving?

Always the chance of reinforcements....Never know with these guys.

Well, I noticed a few small ones popping up. Unfortuanately, they are all one one side of the pop with a big blank spot. The only one on the other side seems to enjoy the room. Most have leaves with tentacles on them now!

Would it be ok to attempt feeding them with little booklice? They are about the size of springtails and are busy infesting a jar of rice. I originally planned to use them as experiment fish food but i suppose if I smooshed one onto a toothpick I could wipe it onto the leaves of some of the larger ones with tentacles.

Ack. Found what appeared to be a fungus gnat larvae and almost all the sprouts gone.
smile_h_32.gif

Perhaps 50/50 peat/sand would be a wiser choice next time?

Would you please post a photo of what you believe to be the fungus gnat larvae?

Back