What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. capensis

Both of my D. capensis sending up flower stalks and one is almost opening. Is there any thing i need to do to pollinate them? How long does it take to go from flower to seed pod?
Thanks
Nick

it will pollenate its self, you will have LOTS of seeds. and it doesnt take long for the pods to mature.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Nickz123 @ Dec. 16 2004,4:41)]Is there any thing i need to do to pollinate them? How long does it take to go from flower to seed pod?
D. capensis are self-pollinating and self-fertile. Generally one flower on the spike will open for a few hours for one day, then the next flower the next day, and so on (depending on light and temperature, it seems). The bottom flower will open first and seed generally will ripen in that pod first. Sometimes there may be 20 or more flowers on a spike. I have harvested ripe seed from the bottom flower before the top flower has opened, so I guess from flower to ripe seed may be about 20 days or so for a given flower -- again depending on growing conditions.

The seed spreads very easily and, if you are not careful, you will have volunteer seedlings appearing in every pot. That is why capensis is considered to be a weed. They are easy to identify and it is difficult to confuse them with your other sticky rosetty things. So, I think capensis is a nice weed.

I have had fresh capensis seed germinate in about 2 weeks.

Thanks Bob,
The D. Binata multifida you sent me a few weeks ago is doing great.  I cut all the orignal leaves of because they got damaged in shipping but I now have about 30 cutting that have at least 3 plants growing off each.  The mother plant is doing much better and has 4 or 5 huge leaves on it.  Thanks again.
Nick

My D.capensis "narrow" has two more flowers to bloom then after that, just wait for the seeds
smile.gif
. Is there a way to tell if a seed pod is ready to take out since you can't see the seedpod since the flowers are closed.

You are doing better than me. My capensis sends up a nice flower stalk, but all the flowers never open! The stalk I have now must have over 10 potential flowers, that never open. Will these still give seed?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (StifflerMichael @ Dec. 16 2004,8:28)]You are doing better than me. My capensis sends up a nice flower stalk, but all the flowers never open! The stalk I have now must have over 10 potential flowers, that never open. Will these still give seed?
Are you CERTAIN that the flowers never open? Some Drosera flowers only open for a few hours and then close. You have to be watching during that brief interval or you can easily miss it. Usually the flowers open during bright sunny and warm days. If you are growing them indoors or in a terrarium, they may not be as predictable.

Hmm, I didn't know they would only open for a few hours. It's quite possible I missed them opening. I'll post a pic this evening. My friend is having the same 'problem' with his intermedia so what you say seems to make sense.

Hey Michael -

After the flowers & stem turn black, put down a piece of white paper and tap or flick the stalk with your finger. Then you'll see gazillions of tiny black specks on the paper. That's the seed.

I have a self-fertile D. binata that sends seeds everywhere. They are coming up like weeds (that's why I always bring a binata to the NECPS meetings for silent auction).

Back